Salvinos JR Models IndyCar

Saw this on another forum.

Fresh from Salvinos JR Models Facebook page…

I sure hope it’s true!

Jim

2 Likes

Interesting.

Yes, it is, and I wish them well with this venture. As I understand it, when AMT & Revell issued their Indy/CART cars back in the day, they weren’t very big sellers, which is probably why they are never been reissued. The good part about these cars is that once Salvinos gets the chassis done (Dallara DW12) and the engine (Honda or Chevrolet), they just have to change the decals, instructions, & box for different drivers. Similar to their NASCAR line.

Jim

1 Like

Being a hard core Indy Car fan (2nd only to F1 these days), I’m truly over joyed that Salvino jr has secured the license from IC to kit the DW12 2012 car, which is basically the same chassis that’s still used today with the changes in Aero kits both yearly, and for either ovals or road courses. Really makes sense to get into this market. At 1st the decision to go 1/20 scale seemed odd as only Tamiya has issued their Lola 93 Indy Car in that scale and never continued. Certainly the lack of sales world wide had a lot to do with it as Indy Car racing is basically a regional series only. But Tamiya & Fujimi have led the way with 1/20 scale being scale of choice for F1, and just maybe Salvino jr is hoping that by going 1/20 as well just might entice F1 modelers to give Indy Car models a try.
BTW, decals will be at least designed by IndyCals, just not sure if Michael will have the time and resources to be the sole supplier and still keep his AM decal business running as usual since it’s a one man operation.
In any event I’m already saving my pennies for some major purchases when the kits are released retail. Can’t wait for their next press release with more concrete information.
joel

2 Likes

This is very tempting, I’ve been searching for a scale model of the DW12 or any of he newer series CART/Indycars but haven’t gotten serious about it until this season, been following Will Power the last couple of years but this season Josef Newgarten has looked real promising. Hope this works out.

Cajun :crocodile:

Cajun,
Being a long time Penske fan (1st met Mr. Penske in 1967 at Bridgehamton), makes me a Newgarden, Power, McLaughlin fan by default. But after Newgarden’s super unlucky 1st lap accident on the Indy road course and a 25th finish, he’s got almost no possible chance to catch Alex Palou whose basically running away with this year’s championship.
joel

Again, according to discussions on another forum, these kits will be in 1/20 scale to match the Tamiya F1 cars and any Gundam you might have. Unfortunately for me, this makes these kits a pass.

Jim

Honestly, my biggest worries about these kits will be that Salvino jr releases these kits in multi colored plastic based on the prime car color as with their Nascar kits, as well as their decals having the secondary colors as part of the decals with numbers and sponsors printed right on top, making for some very difficult decal applications. I’m about to start my very1st Salvino jr Nascar kit of the Penske Penzoil #22 Ford Mustang of Joey Logano. Besides being a Penske team car, the car is basically just one color. Hoping to actually slowly cross the finish line with this build, as the last few just wore me out and are parked in my model garage.
joel

1 Like

Jim,
Why the pass because of scale?
joel

Essentially, it’s because all of my cars & trucks are 1/25 or 1/24, and then to have an odd-ball 1/20 car. Just seems a little strange. Even though I probably won’t be getting these kits, I do agree with you on the plastic choice: white.

Jim

1 Like

Same here, except I also have 1:32nd scale stuff and civilian 1:35th. I believe I may have a 1/20th scale McLaren Can-Am somewhere in the Deep Stash but it’s years since I’ve seen it…
I’m not an authority on Japanese SF, but I think the 1:20th stuff is Ma.K. rather than Gunpla.

Cheers,

M

But what do you do when you want to watch motorsport? I gave up on F1 when they managed to conclude regulations were misapplied/broken, but the result would stand; thus giving the championship to a driver who had previously parked his car on top of that of his rival, and just walked away…
Fortunately, on this side of the pond we have the British Touring Car Championship. No Lewis Hamilton (not a big fan anyhow) but his disabled kid brother Nicholas.

Regards,

M

M,
Don’t laugh, but the main reasons I like F1 better then Indy Cars:
1-No damn commercials during green flag racing. Indy car has 7 or so commercials every 5 min or so. Nascar not so much, but still loaded with commercials. The split screen concept is a joke as it’s not a equal split screen but more like 2/3 to 1/3.
2-Teams of just 2 cars, not 3 or even 4 cars. 3-Sponsorship doesn’t change by the race so that the car liveries don’t change. It’s gotten so bad that even Penske cars have different paint schemes every so often. Nascar isn’t nearly as bad in that regard.
Agreed that F1 has had and still has major issues with rules and penalties.
True, that Red Bull is making a shame of the championship like none before them. Although Mercedes had 7 years of coming damn close.
I do enjoy IMSA when I can actually get the races on cable.
joel

2 Likes

Yes, I believe you are correct that it is Ma.K. and not Gundam. I think that’s usually 1/144, anyway.

Personally, I’ve never really been into F1, but I do like Indycar. Been getting into IMSA & WEC recently.

Jim

1 Like

For those of you who are interested, these cars are now available for pre-order ftom Salvinos:

Jim

2 Likes

jim,
I’m ordering the Newgarden car and Dale Earnhardt’s #3 Goodwrench car as well. Honestly I’m on the fence about Sato’s car, as I never much cared for his driving style.

joel