Scale Modeling as Art?

Yeah, but he didn’t say we were all good artists. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

True!
But good vs bad art is an ongoing discussion and there is LOTS of bad artists out there

3 Likes

I’m not even at the “paint by numbers” stage, more “wax crayon”… :frowning_face:

Cheers,

M

Cheer up. It just takes a LOT of practice.

but it all depends on which walk of life you aim to master

3 Likes

In Belgium we call it a “Reference window” what’s art is for some, is crap for other.
Everyone is different, and that’s good. Otherwise the world is gonna bee a little boring.

Just something I have made, where it’s belong, is it art ? for me it’s just fun of creating something and work on my painting skills.

scout05
scout01

2 Likes

Can of soup or can of worms?

2 Likes

Brilliant! I had totally forgotten about those.
Art, yeah, right …

1 Like

“Art” is whatever one person can convince others is intrinsically more valuable than the materials it was made of - whether it’s a Rembrandt or an unmade bed. Compared to some of the publicly-acknowledged “art” out there I feel it’s safe to say EVERY model I’ve seen on here over the years is most definitely art in its purest sense! Keep those masterpieces coming!

5 Likes

OK is this art? It’s just an edited photo I captured.

Those who put their tank on a diorama are taking the next step. I doubt anyone could not call it art.

1 Like

:thinking:

• Was the original photo considered art?
• Was the original Durango & Southern No. 473 a hulking piece of moving steel art?
• Were the factory workers who toiled-away to build No. 473 considered artists?
• Were the shrubberies along the roadbed planted in an artistic fashion? …

:grin: :innocent:

1 Like

@BGT . yes I would classify that image as art.

I likey, must be art :grin:

1 Like

Thanks folks. But my point is that anything can be considered art. Yes even the real loco in the eyes of many is art. I have sold or licensed about 5 million images. That’s because some folks like them. But I bet for everyone who likes them there are dozens who don’t. So be it. Do it for the simple reason that you like it.

1 Like

Who’s to say the artisan is not an artist, but in assorted media rather than just one?
Some are obviously more skilled in certain aspects than others but the viewer is the final judge.

Andy Warhol said of his art…". making money is art"

"Practice doesn’t make perfect ; practice makes permanent – only perfect practice makes perfect !
Vince Lombardi.

The lucky folk are naturally artistic. The rest can learn. Everyone can learn but not everyone can get to the top. That’s ok. When you finish your latest build, sit back and ask yourself if you are happy. Don’t ask if others will be happy. Just you. And if your answer is yes then you are an artist.

Exactly! I figure if a pile of bricks in a gallery can be “sold” to the wealthy as art, then what we do must be at least art-squared, or even cubed because we are actually trying to tell a story with our models.

A pile of bricks, ha! you can sell nothing as art, the invisible sculpture. I think we all can be called artists. I have a room full of completed models I will let go for a steal. :joy:

Art:

I dare you to hear it until the end.