Scammell Pioneer Recovery Truck in 1/35th scale by Thunder Models

the final drives attach to the rear spring shackle by a pin attached to a conical pan, the pin passes right through protruding on the inner side by 2mm.

the Differential then attaches to the pin ends and neatly connects the rear axle, just needs the prop shaft to the rear of the gearbox.

making a start on the cab

8 Likes

wheels on and all six touch down, ready for some light weathering on the chassis.

11 Likes

Great job so far sprocket. Is there anything you feel needs replacing with AM stuff?

1 Like

Not so far MH, then again I haven’t taken stock of what’s out there, I guess you could look at resin wheels that have the weight bulge, but the tires in the kit look ok to me, If the driver has the right psi ft/lbs pressure in them they shouldn’t flat spot too much anyway, and a rig like this would be well cared for by it’s op, when it comes down to it, it’s a personal choice.

3 Likes

trial fit of the cab and rear bed in base colours to the chassis, you can’t do too many trial fits before the big join up.

11 Likes

Wow that’s looking great!

2 Likes

found a REME badge for the base, 27mm across, only £4 on e bay, perfect as the old boy is a REME Veteran.

7 Likes

Nice kit. Interestly, my admittedly brief search turned up only one black and white photo with the highway tread on the front tires. All others were military lug style. A lot of the restored ones have the highway pattern though,

2 Likes

The fuel tank fitted to the chassis without issues. The PE cap looks especially convincing.

the large can at the right side of the engine compartment I expect must be the fir filter, probably one of the oil bath type. One more lead weight to go on the front counter weight rack, once I’ve gently sanded it to fit in the last slot.

8 Likes

I’m starting to paint up this M1A1 SMG, There are three in the kit, I’ll unload it before placing it in the weapon rack in the cab.

7 Likes

Overall coat of US OD over light salt over a dulled 1950’s British Bronze green, some of which should show through. The PE equipment bin is empty for now, so I’'ll dig out some tow cables,shackles and some chain to go in there with some pioneer tools. Let that coat dry before I fit the
windows, rear view mirrors and PE wiper blades.

while that dries time to turn some attention to the base, some rapidly laid Concrete Laid in Pusan port by the US NAVY Sea Bees. When the grey dries I’ll beat that up with tire and track marks criss crossing it.

10 Likes

Next morning, this fine sunny Saturday Morning shows how patience is needed with Lifecolour acrylic paint to get the full and final appearance of it when it has dried.
In this case very matt. The salt still to be brushed away to show the darker colour underneath. I’m debating whether or not to go over it with a light coat of lustre finish varnish. Vehicles don’t stay fully matt for long, wind and weather buff it out, but a newly arrived truck, freshly painted in US OD . I’m guessing of course, not my era. But I had read that Royal Marines were kitted out in American weapons and uniforms with only their Green Berets showing who they were. Pusan was run by the Americans and they ruled the roost, and had plenty of supplies. Post War Britain as one can imagine, was Broke. So the British Brigade leant on their American Allie to get by. So Matt US OD and white stars are the order of the day.

12 Likes

The tool locker with as much recovery junk as I could find in the spares box, cable, shackles, chain, folded canvas, pioneer tools ect.

the REME Badge fitted to the base adds a splash of colour to the project. I had to raid the spares boxs for tires and tank tread to produce the marks on the concrete. Just the wipers, mirrors and lamps to go on, then I can order the glass for the case.

10 Likes

A block of wood? or was that just a German thing? :grin:

Indeed, the badge is a nice detail touch.

3 Likes

Finally done, let that lot set, particularly the PE wipers, so fine, let the superglue set hard before I fit this in it’s glass case, later.

13 Likes

Hi
A semi-gloss varnish is always preferable, it lifts the vehicle, reflects some light. Vehicles were rarely ultra matt anyway.
Great model.

Andrew T

3 Likes