Schwerer-Panzer-Abteilung-512 surrenders 16th April 1945

Of interest are the ‘slow, unmaneuverable’ Jagdtigers. just proves when working that they were not slow.
Spot the German M3 scout car.

8 Likes

An impressive array of equipment. 3 Jagdtigers, a Bergepanther, couple 251s, a 250, trucks and even a captured American M3 Scout Car and a Kubewlwagen.

I also like the fact that despite surrendering, everything goes on in an orderly fashion. Vehicles are lined up properly, soldiers turn in their weapons; even one panzer crewman removes the coaxial MG out of one of the Jagdtigers (almost falling on his face in the process).

They form up and their commanding officer briefs them. i can imagine giving the soldiers orders to comply with the Allies orders and telling them that the war (for them) is over.

4 Likes

Jagdtigers not Sturmtigers and if you count there are 3 lined up.
However it is a nice mix of vehicles which may give people ideas for dioramas.

3 Likes

Ah, got the names mixed up; probably because I’m still working on the Tamiya Sturmtiger build. LOL.

I was particularly amazed at watching an actual Bergepanther on that footage. You don’t see that vehicle often in newsreels.

The particular vehicle in that newsreel looks like it was built on a Panther Ausf. G hull.

5 Likes

Can’t believe I was 19 years late to my birthday parade.

3 Likes

Once they fixed the problem with the final drives on the last 20 or so vehicles they ran much better. Wonder where they picked up the scout car?

1 Like

Not sure, but probably from the 3rd Armor Division during their last combat engagement at Paderborn before surrendering to the 99th Infantry Division.

1 Like

What is the vehicle at 1:17 that looks like a jeep? It’s in the far right middle ground, just behind the right jeep.

1 Like

There are more photos of the unit moving out to its final collection point with GIs riding on them.

2 Likes

Looks like a modified Jeep with additional armor. Or is it the Kubelwagen next to it?

1 Like

Nope, that’s what I’m looking for. Wonder how you go about replicating that

Subtract the snowplow and the radiator armor.

1 Like

Takom makes a kit. Dragon has a 3-in-1 version, one with two separate mounting locations for the .50 cal MG and another with a custom twin M1A1 bazooka launchers.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen those. They just look a little bit different than the one in this video. The one in this video doesn’t seem to have the same kind of plates. They look shorter than those kits and appear to have handles on the side.

Nor do they seem Un maneuverable. But, I, too, am struck by the apparent orderliness.

Bill

1 Like

Different set up on the video. It might be not armor plate but a way to help keep the weather out?

1 Like

Interesting mix of black panzer jackets and field gray pants for those who claim the black was only worn by tank crews, and field gray was only worn by the A/T - artillery branches,
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

More info here- s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 512 Jagdtiger unit insignia and vehicles - Archive1944-1945

1 Like

French book- jagdtiger abteilung 512 Batailles_et_Blindes_61.pdf | DocDroid

1 Like

Probably still armor plates, but cut shorter to give additional small arms protection, but still keep visibility, since that vehicle doesn’t have a mounted machine gun. It doesn’t even have the armor plate over the front of the radiator.

1 Like