The past few weeks have been focused primarily on the running gear. This was very consuming because it involved a large number of disks and rods with very small deep holes being tapped to M1.6 and M2.
To cut disks I simply clamped Dremel cutoff wheels in the Proxxon and mounted the tube or bar to be cut in the rotary table and tediously cut the slices. I used a lot of cut off wheels but I had a lot got cheap from aliexpress so that was OK. But it took a long time indeed.
First I made the return roller mounts. Simply 6 mm steel rod silver soldered into disks with 6mm holes drilled in them. Then the centre bar was drilled out to 4 mm. Into this will go the axle for the return roller.
This is the mounts before soldering.
Here are all the bits for the rollers and the finished mounts:
The rims are just slices off the same tubing I used in the gun mantlet.
here it is being soldered.
I then press fit 4mm ID needle bearings into the central hole. I now need caps for the rollers to cover the hole but that will have to be later.
Then I started making the swing arm fixtures. This is just 6 mm silver steel silver soldered into the top end of the swing arm.
These joints will be under the most stress and while I trust silver solder, I am not always 100% I have done a good job and a failure later after paint is a major issue. So I drilled a 2mm hole through the swing arm and into the shaft and pinned them together with 2mm drill rod.
And here are all the bits for the running gear. The racks are simply off the shelf 20 mm square aluminium tube with approporiate holes drilled. The entire thing is adjustable for swing angle etc.
Its a bit hard to visualize but the brass rims on the shafts off the swing arms hold onne end of the spring and the things that look like chess pawns hold the other. These bits are clamped to the slots in the top of the racks.
The springs I was going to use are way too stiff but ebay has really stepped up its game in the spring world and I have ordered some more suitable ones. If they dont work I will just get some made.
I know this is not exactly visually interesting but there was a lot of work sunk into this and it all had to be done as I am pushing to get to a state where I can primer the whole thing.