Semi-trailer bus, Damascus to Baghdad

5 Likes

I never knew about the Desert Buses, what a great roadtrip that would be! I remember South African Railways used International Harvester semi-trailer buses and bus/cargo combinations until the late 80’s…
SAR RMT 70's bus
SAR RMT 80's bus

9 Likes

The desert truck buses were run by New Zealand, the Nairn Brothers. See discussion here Kiwis in the Middle East | Wings Over New Zealand

2 Likes

That’s a seriously cool bus! And if anyone is mad enough to scratch-build one, the Convoy 2 campaign has just started…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be too hard. You could start w/a Roden Greyhound and make it into a trailer.

1 Like

There were a few different variants so just slap the basic concept onto a fifth wheel tractor.
Anything from a 2½-ton CCKW up to a Diamond T.

1 Like

Any takers? :thinking:

Reminds me of the rolling brothels that were captured during the 6 day war in the Golan heights. The syrians had two types one was for the grunts the other was for officers all red velvet and stuff… one was left to rot away in the southern Golan after the war.
Just sayin

1 Like

Interesting story on brothels. I spent six months there in 05, albeit mostly in Syria, Camp Faour. I wasn’t sober for six months, great times had with POLBAT, AUSBAT, SLOVBAT and J-CON.

2 Likes

The guy that did that YouTube, Callum, has a number of really interesting and very well-done vids on some very unusual vehicles and subjects (even did one on the German Einheits Kannister aka the "Jerry can).

2 Likes

Syria will do that to a person :joy:

2 Likes