Serbian T-34/85 with rubber armor

I started this build in December and realized I should finally get around to posting the build and final pics.

So of course the idea of this build popped into my head probably around mid 2021 after finding this famous photo.

But I had no idea how to actually replicate the rubber armor.

Fast forward to December 2022 and I’m struck with an amazing idea… why not use magnetic rubber sheeting of Amazon! So in the week while waiting for the sheets I built up my RFM T-34/85 that I had laying around exactly for this build.

The only extra details I added was of course armor texture, a few lights from a T-55 (I think) and the scratch built AA .50 mount.

7 Likes

Over the past month Ive been working on finishing it.

Painted and weathered with AMMO products (all enamels no pigment)

Here are the finished pics!

Very happy with how the rubber turned out.

22 Likes

Overall it is looks great. :+1::+1:

My only question is why the mg mounted on top of the vents and not either ahead or behind on the turret roof?

1 Like

Outstanding work! You sure captured the look of the tank in the photo!

2 Likes

Some were like this. If I understand correctly, they had mounts for both.

2 Likes

Nice looking photo replica. I had to look up the magnetic sheet. It looks the part perfectly :bulb:

3 Likes

This brings up a Serbian T-34 I have long intended to model.

I was able to get a VHS video of the particular tank. It had rubber armor, but it was obviously stripped away from the turret.

This particular T-34 also appeared in a photo in TIME magazine.

On the port side, the armor read in white letters “AHЋEɅИ.”

I found this odd as the correct spelling of “ANGELS” is “AHЂEɅИ.”

A skull is shown below this. I imagine something was written on the turret armor that was lost.

Anyone know anything about this?

I will add that in the video, the visible crew are in blue MILICIJA / POLICIJA uniforms.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks. Seems like the they wouldn’t have the mount for long but crazier things have been done before.

1 Like

It would have been prettier if they’d got round to fitting the carpet over the underlay…
On second thoughts, maybe the carpet is inside. A chap I once knew carpeted all the interior surfaces of his Reliant Regal to improve the acoustics of his audio system, which was worth more than the van.
:level_slider: :level_slider: :control_knobs: :level_slider: :level_slider: :speaker: :sound: :musical_note: :notes: :hear_no_evil:
Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Very nicely done. Captured the image superbly…
One thing anyone else may try if someone tries something similar… thin Lead sheet… It be beneficial as you can mold shape into it and it will retain it …

Lovely work Ezra :+1:

1 Like

I believe this tank is from a very bad militia unit.

1 Like

I can imagine that’s an M2 Browning under the tarp, since Serbs had plenty of them during that time.

2 Likes

That’s turned out really well, captured the look of it perfectly.

Although my question is, why rubber sheets? An attempt to hide it from IR sensors?

2 Likes

Probably protection from IR seekers. Tamps down on the tank’s thermal signature.

2 Likes

It’s the only thing I can think of too…

1 Like

I was thinking of spall protection, but that would mean the mats would be more effective if they were inside.

Plus the mats break down the tanks silhouette, so it helps with camouflage somewhat.

2 Likes

Certainly would from a distance. I can see it would probably be effective in an urban environment.

1 Like

It is.

Some of these were also supplied to the Greek Cypriots.

2 Likes

Standoff against RPGs.

2 Likes

Ezra, you pop in about every six months and surprise us all with a spectacular build! This T34/85 is just amazing! You nailed the rubber armor buddy! Looks totally outstanding! How are you doing? What are you doing? See you again in six months?

4 Likes