Sherman and Landing Craft

Here we have my son’s (8.5 year old) most recent finished project - the vintage 1:76 Airfix landing craft and Sherman. Built completely out of the box, the only modification being to leave one side of the wheel house off to see inside.

90% of the kit build was his own work
60% of the painting was his own work - only because the landing craft was simply painted with rattle can grey primer by me and covers such a large area :joy: - all brush painting and weathering was his own work with supervision.
50% of the base was his own work, although my 50% contribution was as directed by him!

Next up a shift in scale to 1:35 and the 1970s Tamiya Panzer IV D.

34 Likes

Nice waves! Makes a good display for the vehicles.

3 Likes

Thanks - the water was made using a solvent free clear sealant. My son had fun crafting it into realistic looking waves and then painting the tops of them.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1:
:smiley: :canada:

3 Likes

That rules! :star_struck::+1:

—mike

2 Likes

Nice job. It is nice to see a father and son spend some quality time creating some nice models. I hooe this project motivates him to want to build more

4 Likes

Looks really good! I love the waves. Realistic and catches your eye. Tell him “well done!” And keep assisting, he obviously knows what he’s doing but it’s good to have a hand. The jump to 1:35 will be fun.

3 Likes

OUTSTANDING! Your son certainly has the talent for model building. This is better than I’ve seen from some adults at model shows. What a fantastic piece. Save this - it will be a blast to look at in 20 years, especially if he continues in the hobby.

5 Likes

Really well done, wish I was that good at his age… or now :rofl:

5 Likes

Really cool build and glad he is interested in the hobby … and that will hopefully get him interested in the Mil history side of things as well. Great work :+1:

5 Likes

He loves visiting military museums including regimental museums. Good for boys days out when my wife takes my daughter shopping.

5 Likes

I’ve swapped out the original photos for some better lit ones, just using a Google Pixel 7a phone camera

3 Likes

I built that one as a kid way back when. I thought it was the greatest pairing ever from my ground forces and boxes of Airfix army men!

Great stuff! Yours’ turned out much nicer than the ones that I built… Paint? The Sherman was molded in green and LCM in gray… who needs paint, just add the decals!

4 Likes

They’re still moulded in the same colours!!

3 Likes

New shots are great, I like the head-on shot, it really shows the beachhead. Well done (model and pix).

4 Likes

PRETTY DARN COOL. Nice to see a younger generation building. :grinning:

4 Likes

Nicely done!

3 Likes

I’d like to thank all of you who have taken the time to put kind comments. I showed them to my boy and he was delighted by the support - the fact it is from across the globe blew his mind!

5 Likes

He did good. What’s his next project?

4 Likes

Tamiya Panzer IV D - in early war brown and grey apparently

6 Likes