Shermania 2024

1 Like

Interesting video, Nikos. Thanks!

I have a question for the group. I know I said that I was thinking of the old Dragon M50 for this build, but it has some issues I’m not looking forward to. Still a possibility, but…

Years ago I started a kit bash to create a late M1 Super Sherman from the Battle for Jerusalem in 1967. Basically a late M4A1E8 76(W) with Israeli additions. Here are the donor kits:

I have the upgraded Dragon M51 Premium kit, so I could afford to use this one for various bits such as the suspension, tracks, and Israeli add-ons. Anyway, here’s a shot of where I left off the build:

Haven’t started the suspension yet, just what you can see here, and I clearly will need to repaint what I’ve done as well.

My question to you all is, do you think this qualifies as less than 25% started? I’m thinking I might like to pick up where I left off.

This isn’t a deal breaker. If you think I’m too far for this one to qualify for the campaign, I’ve got plenty of other options. But i figured I’d ask.

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Whar are the issues with the M50? I would like one as a Lebanese variant.

1 Like

I’d say it is close enough to fit the build requirements.

1 Like

The Group Leader asking if his build qualifies? Now I’ve seen everything! Of course it qualifies to my mind, and all that counts is that you are happy with it. Personally I’m always game to watch a brave soul create a FrankenSherman!

3 Likes

Thanks, guys. I didn’t feel comfortable making the call myself.

Ron, the issues really are my own. The engine deck has the late exhaust molded in. It would have to go for a version up to 1973 or later. For a Lebanese tank, it would be fine. Also, the kit is a kind of Dragon mash up of their M4A4 adding HVSS suspension, etc., so it’s a bit tricky to add that suspension to a hull that was really made for the VVSS (I know, I’m doing the same thing with the M1). Finally, unless you get hold of the Orange series kit, those single link tracks are a right pain. To me, anyway. None of this means I won’t do it at some point, just that I’d rather do the M1 if I can. And none of this means you shouldn’t tackle the kit! Well within the skills of an actual armor modeler, which I’m generally not.

2 Likes

Thanks. In that case I’d have to find an M50 first. Missed out on one a week or 2 ago.
They seem to have become rather scarce these days.

1 Like

That’s the trick!

1 Like

We really need a new tool M50, the Dragon kit turret is not that good. I wish Asuka finally started doing IDF Shermans

5 Likes

Good to go with me!

1 Like
3 Likes

Michael, as a Campaigns Guru I’ll make an official call for you. That kit looks less than 25% started to me, and qualifies for this campaign. Good to go, carry on!

4 Likes

Thank you, sir!

1 Like

Argentina repower a Firefly. Chile repower M50 from Israel

1 Like

CHILEAN M51 SHERMAN

ARGENTINE “REPOTENCIADO” FIREFLY SHERMAN FITTED WITH A KMT MINE ROLLER.

6 Likes

correct, I made also argentina (2 model) and chilean subject.
chilean had used m50 and 51,( with modifyed engine) in my research at last an ex eghiptian tank is shipped in chile

The picture I posted an interesting. How the Argentines were able to fit a KMT Mine Roller, typically used on the T-54/55 tank, to an M4 Sherman hull. Plus the hull looks like that of a “Composite” Sherman. Known as a Sherman IC Firefly Hybrid.

2 Likes

if I can help you

1 Like

A little cheating today by a couple of applications of foundry cast marks. :shushing_face: Cast symbol for the turret port door and the aft turret bracket for .50 cal storage…from Archer.

7 Likes

DSC01020
DSC01021
First parts removed from sprue and awaiting clean up.

6 Likes