Skif T-64A: A Christmas Build

Hey all, got some time off work and decided to take a break from the Arnhem build. I decided to tackle Skifs T-64A No. 202. So far the build hasn’t been bad and is quite entertaining. Not to much in terms of parts but a very unique set of directions. Sometimes there’s a lack of detail in the instructions so I’ve been looking at Trumpeters T-64 set to get an idea of what to do. But after working for two hours here’s my progress.

6 Likes

I tried building Skif’s T-64B, with a new resin turret. I couldn’t find suitabe tracks at the time (the kit tracks are not entirely accurate, & hard to make more accurate due to the material), & I eventually just bought a Trumpeter kit.

Damon.

2 Likes

@Garrand by the looks of it the tracks will do. Not a huge fan of Skif tracks I’ve had kits where the tracks were to short. Worst case I’ll get trumpeter tracks if i run in an issue.

2 Likes

Yaay! 'Love the Skif kit T-64s. I built the A a long time ago; it then came to grief in my local hobby shop where it was displayed. I have another in the stash together with an etch set - God knows when I’ll get around to it.

As I recall one of the instructions/wheel placements is seriously askew but is actually quite obvious and I suspect you’ve already encountered that.

When I tackled their B version (or rather 2 of them in an attempt to replicate Soviet “mass”) I found the tracks somewhat lacking and acquired a Skif set of individual links - which, surprise, surprise, didn’t work in either construction or fit. I then invested in a set of Trumpeter tracks which went together very easily and fitted just fine. I would recommend them. Ditto an Eduard etch set – not that I used it all but it did help in some of the details. I thought the Comd’s MG a bit large and chunky so used an NSVT from an ICM Soviet-Afghan War Special Troops set. That’s not to say you won’t get an effect utilising what the kit provides. I think the kit Schnorkel was also quite chunky and think I scratched my own.

I really enjoyed this kit; I could hardly believe it when it came on to the market; whilst eclipsed by the Trumpeter versions, for its time it was the only game in town and I always think fondly of it.

Good luck with yours; I’ll certainly be watching.

@BootsDMS honestly this kit doesn’t seem to bad. The plastic is a bit less refined than than newer kits but it cuts easily. I honestly could have gotten most of this out together during the day but wanted to take my time. So far any issues I’ve come up on i just reference trumpeter directions online to ensure what I’m doing makes sense. I’m not a fan of just glueing parts on plastic with no guide holes which i did encounter for the rear lights. Besides that this has been a gem. If only i could read Ukrainian and understand the paint scheme right now. I may do a digital cam scheme on it for the Ukraine war and get the Valkyrie Ukrainian tank crew figures to crew it.

1 Like

I built their T-64BV several years back. I thought that the kit was decent as well. Not the best, but sure better than many older kits of Soviet tanks.

1 Like

@Stikpusher i still remember when Skif kits were cheap ish on eBay and now every time i see one it’s at least $28. They seem to have gone up I’m not sure if it’s cause of the war, inflation or a new interest but some of the eastern bloc company kits are starting to rise in price.

I’m at a 95% solution on this build. All that’s left to do is the tow cable and tracks, I’ll save the tracks for when im painting. Besides that this kit hasn’t been horrible. A few issues with not enough detail in directions but nothing that can’t be fixed. Will definitely need to do some putting on this prior to painting.

4 Likes

Man you’ve put this one together quite rapidly! Bravo!

2 Likes

@Stikpusher just putting my HBL to good use. Didn’t realize it would be a quick build to be honest. I brought it with me for leave figuring it would take two weeks. May start another Skif kit or may look at doing something else, not entirely sure yet.

1 Like