Sky Warden Winner of USSOCOM Light Attack Plane "Armed Overwatch" Competition

This sterodial crop duster looks delicate. Against a few poachers it looks OK. But a company of infantry can put up a lot of fire on a slow moving, low flying aircraft.

1 Like

Crop dusters are designed to be operated from unpaved airstrips.

most around me land on smooth grass air strips, but I’m thinking even worse in quality
gary

What’s clearer is that the airforces are coming back to turboprops. Actual engines are quite similar to light jet’s engines, similar performances. And for sure, easier and cheaper to maintain.

Texans in the RAF and Navy, Tucanos. And even the Spanish Air Force has just made the transition from the old CASA C-101 to the Pilatus PC-21 for training purpouses.

I think that the Sky Warden will be a good support aircraft, many stations for weapons, light and agile. If they add a good turning radius and large loitering time, it could be a good chance for Spec Ops.

that plane will turn on a dime! I cannot say what kind of range they have, but then again there are no places to gas up near by!

Wonder who’ll be the first to kit this air frame?
gary

Meanwhile, the fate of the other “non-winning contenders” is up for deliberation.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/air-force-wants-to-liquidate-its-tiny-light-attack-plane-fleet

I can see giving them to the US Marine Corps (there are just five of them total or two different companies) for very light duty armed overwatch, or even making them wildfire Command and Control or USCG SAR aircraft. CIA might want them. How about making them USAF base and silo security besides just MH-139A helicopters? How about US Customs and Border Patrol? How about giving them to NASA as a chase or spotter or trainer plane? How about making them Homeland Security Combat Air Patrol armed planes over major cities to keep the airspace clear of intruders and drones? How about making them Counter-drone patrol aircraft—fast scramble around major airports and to chase away birds with sirens and flashing lights? The A-29A can take a bird strike to the canopy at 310 MPH (can’t say the same for the props, but anyway…)!

I’d consider USA government branches before USSOCOM donating or selling them off to foreign nations. Remember, most other US government branches use 7.62-12.7mm helicopter guns so the Light Attack Plane with these gun pods should fit right in.

1 Like