So.Cal.AMPS 12 Hour Build Challenge RSOV

Well, Its that time of year again, time for the annual So.Cal AMPS Online 12 Hour Build challenge- complete a kit in three separate four hour Online Zoom Meeting build sessions. This year my kit that the guys chose for me via vote is the Hobbyboss 1/35 Ranger Special Operations Vehicle w/Mk.19. Due to the time constraints I am building this straight out of box with zero changes to the model or aftermarket items added during the GB Zoom meetings.

Today’s session went very smoothly aside from some ambiguity as to exact placement of the engine, and the transfer case… I will add that Hobbyboss has you add the exhaust pipe at one point, but it would probably go in more easily in the previous step at the same time as the engine and transmission. Anyways, by the end of today’s four hours, I had gotten much further along than I had hoped for, with most of the major sub assemblies completed.

and all fitted together for a photo

Next month I should complete the rest of assembly and get a base coat of primer on.

One reason that I selected this kit as a candidate was a nice simple paint scheme… overall flat black!

The next update will be after the next Zoom session on the fourth Saturday in April

8 Likes

Then you don’t want something like this?

Ken

2 Likes

Nope, not for this GB. If I can get the other RSOV kit with the .50 up top, that might be a candidate then. But for the 12 hour time limit in three sessions, I am sticking with what comes in the box.

Nice photos by the way! Where is that?

3 Likes

Looks to be a much easier build than the last one they stuck you with. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Right?! It’s a night and day difference all the way around! I really can’t say enough about how nice of a kit that this one is…

2 Likes

Dugway Proving Ground, Utah, early 1990s. Rangers, and other special types, used to do a lot of desert training out there.
Ken

2 Likes

Yes, IIRC, Dugway was one of three locations used for Desert Phase of Ranger School, along with Ft Bliss in El Paso and Yuma Proving Grounds in AZ. Of course the RSOVs were used by Ranger Battalions and to my knowledge were not part of the school curriculum… the whole tab vs scroll thing…

2 Likes

Besides the school training, various units used to come out and do training. What that training was and what it was for they didn’t say. They would just show up, go out in the desert for a while, then leave.
Ken

2 Likes

ARRRRRRRRRRRMY TRAINING SIR! :wink:

2 Likes