Some Fun with Older Model Kits: Stuarts and Such!

As the reader we knew he was talking with Gen Stuart’s ghost… That’s much better than talking to yourself!

Some additional Stuart Inspiration:
This time from the Knob Creek Gun Range event in 2001.
(Located right on the edge of the Ft. Knox Reservation.)

KCG 3

M-20

KCG 5
All photos Copyright Michael Koenig 2001 ~ All Rights Reserved

2 Likes

Mike, awesome job with the finish on your Stewart’s. I still love that kid. I haven’t built one 40 years but I’ve got a couple of them just waiting for the opportunity.

Most may think this more than a bit silly . . .but;

I have always felt that Armor models should have a bit of heft. After all it is ARMOR! So I tend to add a small group of nails or screws to the engine compartment or under the floor out of sight wherever the model allows.

Screws glued in with white glue and allowed to dry overnight.

Question: Have you ever been in a bar and they bring you a big frosty stein of beer and you think it is a heavy glass stein and it ends up being made of plastic, and you almost throw the beer in your face on the first sip???

That’s the same thinking I apply to my model tanks. You expect Armor to have some weight to it even in 1/35th scale.

Also I feel, the extra weight helps them sit more properly on their road wheels and tracks.

4 Likes

Another of my Stuart images; this time a vehicle from Robert’s Armory seen at the Lowell, IN; Buckley Homestead event (RIP) many years ago.

Photo Copyright Mike Koenig 2003 ! All Rights Reserved

FYI ~ Shot with my 1944 US Army PH-324 Kodak 35mm Camera.

2 Likes

At the Risk of this being gross overkill . . .
I show you a few tanks both finished and under construction with some basic and also not so basic interiors:

Again all I am looking for is just the hint of an interior when looking down thru open hatches.
(Usually seen while looking past an installed figure.)

Basic M4 Sherman and Sherman Firefly:
With interior paint, Weighted and Firewalls Added

T28 Pershing and Small Hatch D-Day Sherman
Interior paint, Weighted, Closed Sponsons and Firewalls

Russian T34
Interior paint, Scratch built seats, Rudimentary Interior and Ammo Boxes ~ waiting on crew figures

Some slightly more detailed German Interiors:
Mostly done with just bits and bobs of plastic and just a few actual detailing parts

Tiger I and Jagdpanzer IV
Scratch built seats, Interior paint, Firewalls and in the case of the Tiger I, a rough attempt at a turret basket, turret interior and torsion bar suspension.

3 Likes

Look great. A lot of fun can be had with these oldies.
Somewhere I’ve got the old M3 to use as a guinea pig for the field applied mud camouflage seen in Tunisia. My plan was to use one of those Games Workshop textured paints to create the cammo. I think a few other paint brands have released similar things since.

An idea towards possibly making that Tunisian como mud;
Citadel makes several “crackle” texture paints they generally refer to as “Alien Skin”.

The one used here is called “Agrellan Earth”. It is sort of a light mud/tan color and here I have stained it to a darker shade of earth/dirt/grime to make the “crackle” really pop out.

Shown here is the recovery spade of my Tamiya Famo Sd.Kfz. 9

3 Likes

That looks good.
You’d get some interesting effects with that.
My LHS carries the full range so I’ll have to grab a bottle next time I’m in.

Cheers.

1 Like

Not a Stuart but still a recon vehicle!

Working now on the old Tamiya M-20 Scout Car with a similar idea in mind as the Stuarts.

Doing a small hilly dio base for this one so I can crank the suspension and the steering just a bit for something just a little bit different.

No fender skirts for this one. (The skits were hinged upwards for easy servicing and were removable.)

The driver’s area of our M-20 at the Patton Museum was painted white so I went with that here.

The vehicle comes with a very nicely done radio as well! The inset areas should be black and all those buttons chrome. (yes chrome ~ trust me!)

scr-528_01
SCR-528 tray mounted transmitter and receiver assembly ~ Same as in the Shermans.

M-20
M20 seen at a 2002 reenactor event held at Knob creek Gun Range near Ft. Knox, Kentucky.

M8 Gaeta, Italy, 1944

3 Likes

I am going to hazard a guess and say the reason we have an M8 Stuart/Scott and also an M8 armored car is because one is Mounted Cavalry and the other is a Self Propelled Gun (Artillery).

These being considered two totally different things by the US Military.

A couple more M5 Stuart shots again from the 2002 Knob Creek Gun Range event near Ft. Knox, Kentucky: (14th Armored vehicle)

Both photos Copyright Mike Koenig 2003 ~ All Rights Reserved.

1 Like

Close enough. One was M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage, and the other was M8 Scout Car. Try to come up with how many different M1 items there were and are…

1 Like

I have built an M3 Stuart/ Honey from the 7th Armoured division; Desert Rats of the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars. Not brilliant but not too bad.

3 Likes

More M-20 Model Inspiration:
Again from the Knob Creek Gun Range event in 2001.
(Located right on the edge of the Ft. Knox Reservation.)

M-20
All photos Copyright Michael Koenig 2001 ~ All Rights Reserved

3 Likes

The Decals for the M8 have arrived!
I am calling this one as done.

Also work continues on the M20 Scout Car:

5 Likes

Not really…I talk to myself all the time and I always get the BEST answers! LOL

3 Likes

But don’t you get annoyed with yourself… asking questions when you already knew the answers?

2 Likes

Not really… It’s kind of like opening a comment for debate!

2 Likes

Oh, now I get it! Stuart’s Ghost Tank. I really had to scroll back to figure out where this was coming from.

For awhile there I thought we had some Ghosts in the Machine!