South African Centurion (Not The Olifant)

It would actually be neat to depict something from the apartheid era.

This thread needs photos!

1 Like

At first it was straight up standard Centurions but they had difficulties with the climate and South Africa started tinkering with them:
https://www.pmulcahy.com/tanks/south_african_tanks.html

Apartheid ended in 1994 so the Mk I B, which entered production 1991, would have been the last apartheid tank. The design studies for the Mk 2 began almost as soon as the Mk 1B entered production but the Mk 2 didn’t enter service until 2007.

1021565-27767-31-pristine
I have some doubts concerning the “Mk IB” designation, I am not sure if it is correct …

Mk I A

olifant_mk1b
Mk I B

wtlvosjszoo61
Mk 2
The sight or whatever it is by the commanders cupola.
Compare with HB boxart

Binge watching:

1 Like

3 Likes

prior to the Olifant upgrades

4 Likes

Did someone comment as to the quality of the HobbyBoss kit? I admit to being curious…

1 Like

Very interesting series of articles, unfortunately I don’t read Afrikaans for those last 4 pages.

Mal

thank you for all info, very interesting to modelling SA Centurion!

Mal
Try this site which is well informed about SA armor.
Tanks encyclopedia

Hobby Boss Mk1B is indeed a Mk2.
Quality in the box seems good. I can’t comment on the accuracy and the ease of build so far.

Olivier

2 Likes
3 Likes

I would change the gun barrel and the accordion cover. Suspension is ok, the wheels luck the inner rim detail but I can leave with that. Detail is there but a bit on the soft side. I would also improve on the antiskid on the turret and hull.

Olifant Mk I and MkIA

exercise_seboka_2013_-_dylan_mohlala_8_20131118_1121679778

36467705_1122930717846818_5483236832424493056_n

xOlifant

1 Like

Photos kindly shared by the late Charlie Deale, a really great guy that left too early…

1 Like

Its an expensive kit.

Agreed, but a high price does not equal high accuracy and sometimes quality is not high too.

And that is why I tell people the best builds start with the best references.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing them.

It sure sounds like it’s not worth the money asked.

And some Olifant MkII photos from 2 walkarounds but I cannot remember where I got them.

5 Likes