Spare tracks on Tanks?

I know they were put on by crews for extra protection in some cases, but weren’t they also for spare parts in case they needed for repair? How were they attached to the tanks by the crew?

Depends on the tank. Modern US tanks had them bolted on the bustle rack.

Most German tanks had brackets that held lengths of spare tracks.

I meant tracks on parts of the tanks in areas that were not designed for them to be there

Screenshot 2024-07-08 21.21.47

Usually, if they were not in a designed holder, they were not spares, but added armor. Most of it was just welded to the hull.

so you believe the panther wants extra protection? and its not “spares”?

Hanging all over it, yes. A crew doesn’t need many spares. A few is about it incase a track link or two fails.

and its welded on in the field? where do they get the extra tracks? some supply truck?

Yes, from destroyed tanks, or when the track is changed for new ones. Field repair units did/do have welders in the field. I don’t see why this is so hard to believe.

The allies did it too.

“Canadian Sherman tanks from the Canadian, Governor Generalâ’s Horse Guards Armoured Regiment resting during the Liberation of Arnhem.”

“Marine Sherman tanks with improvised armor on patrol near Naha, Okinawa 1945”

3 Likes

Spare Track Hangers on Panther - Missing-Lynx (tapatalk.com)

Often if the a given picture is enlarged one can see some of the details of how a given panzer has extra track attached.

Note the hooks for the tracks on the glacis plate. The bow has a bracket to hold track links. There’s also a run of tracks wedged on top of the brake covers against the spares on the bow.

2 Likes

Here’s one I’ve never been able to find on the internet:

Thought about doing the tank just to show this and enter it a contest. But then I realized I don’t do contests any more.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting one! Would be neat to see. Where’s that from?

A WWII documentary.
Now it will be available on the internet. :grinning:

Typically, tracks on the sides of Panther turrets were hung using hooks welded to the top edge of the turret, as per the link posted. They definitely couldn’t be welded to the turret in the picture posted here - it has Zimmerit, which negated welding anything.

Most spare tracks on German vehicles were attached with welded on hooks, brackets, bolts, etc. It was very uncommon to see them welded. On the other hand, welding the tracks on was much more common on Allied tanks.

Some German tanks used Russian tracks as armor:

Ken

4 Likes

very informative

Huh. I thought they just used a lot of super glue.

That was a joke.

3 Likes
1 Like