Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind

Oh! right, now I do feel dim, DOH! :slight_smile: But the sides don’t look tapered, is that just a trick ofr the camera angle?

Hi Mal

Doh! You caught me out - it’s all smoke and mirrors! :laughing:

Actually - it’s not all an illusion. The beauty of the #15 blade is that it’s curved and much smaller than a standard scalpel blade:

So, instead of a straight taper, you get something that’s slightly “scooped” (for want of a better word) - a bit like this:

So long as you’re careful, you can push the inevitable transition point pretty deep into the pan of the seat and get a more convincing thin wall. Just be careful not to overdo it and cause a scratch with the tip of the scalpel. (Rounding the tip with a file would be a good idea.)

Admittedly, the scalpel isn’t as good as the little scraper I modified from a sculpting tool years ago specifically for jobs like this. That’s shaped a bit like a tiny hockey-stick and works wonderfully, but it got mislaid when I shifted everything into my current workshop. It’ll turn up again one day. :slight_smile:

All the best

Rowan :beer:

2 Likes

Ah! cool, I don’t feel quite so dim now! That’s a great idea and I’m sure that I have No 15 blades somewhere? If not a pack won’t be mega expensive.
I’m just drilling out the lightening holes on the strengthening pieces that fit into the rear shelf. I really shouldn’t have started this but as soon as I saw that it was being produced and that I would have it fairly soon I decided that I would hold off building a twin engined model until I had it and that I would build it straight away. Mainly because who would have thought that this would be produced in 1/32 scale! I put my ZM Hs129 back on the shelf and that will now be done later. :slight_smile: It’s also really pleasing that they haven’t skimped on the detail. I will be looking for some HGW seat belts and Master barrels, I belive that the set that they did for the Mossie could be used?

Hi Mal

Yep - drilling out the holes definitely cheers the parts up a bit:

It’ll be worth thinning them a bit too, because they are a tight fit in their slots and could easily be damaged if you’ve drilled the holes before fitting them and apply any pressure (I did the holes after they were in place for that reason).

I anyone really wants to go to town on the cockpit, they could add ribs and stringers with similar lightening holes on the cockpit sides - but I’m trying to stay more or less OOB as this is a sample build for Special Hobby. Obviously, the urge to tinker with some bit is irresistible, though. :wink:

I don’t know if I’ll get any time at the workbench this week, because it’s half-term and that always means we’re short-handed at my Oxfam shop as volunteers have to look after kids and grandkids. So, I’ll be doing extra shifts to cover and won’t get a day off until Sunday. I’ve also got a bunch of reviews to work on, so I probably won’t have much in terms of updates on the Whirlwind until sometime next week.

All the best

3 Likes

I drilled the holes before fitting and had no problems. and yep, they need to be thinned a little, no big deal. No positive positioning though so you just need to make sure that you get the projecting end in the right position. Again no problem really. I think that the batteries(?) could have been moulded in 1 piece? I say batteries as I can’t think of what else they might be?
The cockpit does seem to be very well appointed but there are a lot of items that could be added such as wires and tubing. I understand why these things aren’t part of the mouldings but I wish that manufacturers would include diagrams of these type of things which would make it very easy to add them. I guess that they don’t because it would show just how much they have left out? I’m considering doing some of it, as I do have some photos and they are easily found on the net.
Although I would like HGW seat belts I think that the instrument panel as supplied will look good so I’m not going to replace that.
Which paint range are you using?

Hi Mal

The “batteries” are labelled as accumulators in the original manual diagrams. I’m not an electrician, so I don’t know if that’s another name for the same thing…

As regards moulding them as one piece each - I think that would have been asking for sink marks without using a complex multi-part mould. That’s probably one step beyond where Special Hobby are right now. They’ve made colossal strides from their “old school” short-run beginnings, but still… :wink:

Special Hobby list a set of Eduard seatbelts on their site, but I ordered some HGW ones which should arrive soon (I know - yet another review! LOL!) to see how they turn out. I would have gone for some RB Productions seatbelts, but I struggled to find an active link where I could buy them, and I’ve lost touch with Brinzan via email. (Radu - if you spot this - get in touch. :wink: )

What paints will I be using? As usual with me - whatever’s to hand that like the colour of. :wink: I mix and match freely between manufacturers. I’ve used WEM’s Grey-Green for the basic interior, but some Airfix on the instrument panel etc. and Alclad on n/m parts. I haven’t thought about which colour scheme to go for, let alone which paints to use.

Having said that, one of WEM’s bright Battle of Britain era underside colours might drag me in that direction… Whirlwinds were noted for their distinctive finish. :wink:

Like I feared, work’s piling up now, so I’ll probably be off the radar until next week sometime.

All the best

Accumulators? I’ll have to see if I can find those diagrams, I’ve only found cockpit views. I just interested in if any wires are showing?

Yep, I figured that too deep a moulding was the reason and I fully understand that. They could have put the sprue attachment points in a different and much better location though! I’m not complaining though because, as you say Special Hobby has come a long way and it is a Whirlwind in 1/32 scale! :slight_smile:

I use MR.Paint almost exclusively now but I still have WEM, Humbrol, Extracolor, Tamiya and of course Allclad. I’m about settled on the kit scheme C, basically because I’ll be painting on the markings and it has extra stuff to paint, such as the checkered bullet fairing and the cloverleaf. I’m undecided whether or not to create paint masks it but I think probably not.

1 Like

Hi everyone

Sorry - it’s been a modelling-free week through one thing and another. :worried: Work - obviously :frowning_face: - but also a frantic effort to get up to speed on old '60s R&B numbers for a band I’ve joined! :grinning: I’ve never played any of the stuff before, so it’s been a real eye-opener and I feel a bit like I’ve been wrung through the mill! The first rehearsal was tonight and WOW! - it’s pretty amazing just to play in a group situation after over a year of Covid restrictions… - and I’m definitely glad I worked out a few parts beforehand! It’s great to get that “electric shock” again of feeling like the worst player in the room - there’s nothing like it to make you raise your game! :wink:

OK - so, all being well, I’ll get back to the Whirlwind on Sunday, reviews permitting - I’m a bit in catch-up mode on all fronts at the moment… One positive to take from the delay is that the set of HGW seatbelts that I ordered have arrived. They’re nominally for a Hurricane, but I think they’re suitable for the Whirlwind too:

All the best

3 Likes

Great to hear that the guitars are getting a serious run Rowan, outstanding!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Cheers Damian

It’s been far too many years since I played in a band! :worried: My latest axe is due to arrive early next week. It’ll be a bit different from anything else I’ve ever had… a German luthier’s part stock/part custom take on a Tele with P-90s. It was “love at first twang” when saw Henning Pauly demo the prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74GGyT2RhQk

Back to the poor neglected Whirlwind!.. I do have a couple of other reviews to work on tomorrow, but I’ll definitely aim to get a bit more work done on the cockpit too. There probably won’t be much to show in terms of progress before I’ve got all the basic colours blocked in, applied a clear-coat and start to tackle shading and highlighting.

Apart from having music to blame for lack of progress, it doesn’t help that Special Hobby have also sent their equally cool 1:48 Tempest Mk. II that I’m eager to tackle too! I’ll do my best to get the two builds synchronised where I can.

All the best

1 Like

Likewise, almost 25 years for me now! I’ve partaken in a few impromptu jams and been dragged up at parties a few times but there’s nothing like the buzz from a crowd appreciating what you do.
I checked out that link, what a great sound and a lot of variety in tones for a Tele-style. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts once you give it a good thrashing!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Hi Damian

I fear I can “beat” you by a good (or should that be “bad”) few years there… :worried:

It was only when I plugged in at the start of our first rehearsal when I realised just how long it’s been since I’ve even played at any volume through an amp! Everything I’ve done at home since I stopped gigging back in the last century (Cough! Is it really that long ago! :open_mouth: ) has been through headphones - fine in its own way, but no comparison to a live sound.

I know what you mean about the Elcaster. The range of tones was exactly what caught my ear. I stewed for a day or two after watching the demo, but I couldn’t get the thought out of my head that none of my guitars are as expressive - e.g. my Gordon Smith T-Style (which I really like) simply doesn’t react that way when I “dig in” - it just sounds louder. Add to that, this is a very limited release from a top luthier and I couldn’t resist it! :wink:

So, I’m really itching to try the Elcaster and its hand-wound P90s! I may have to modify my playing technique to master them, but having that “dirt” available at your fingertips is something none of my other axes offer. In terms of looks and feel, I don’t really go for the “heavy relic” look - some of things out there are so extreme, they are almost absurd unless you set out to deliberately trash a guitar (I’ve got 40-year old thoroughly “gigged” guitars that don’t have anything like that degree of wear and tear…) - but the Elcaster looks like it’ll be the equivalent of a good pair of stone-washed jeans - new, but not too new - with plenty of scope to add my own real dings and buckle rash. :slight_smile:

According to Uwe at Tonfuchs, mine will be the first Elcaster in the UK! (2 of the first run are heading to the US, 1 to Canada, and the remaining 7 will stay in mainland Europe). It hardly compares with the legendary story of Hank Marvin’s first UK Stratocaster - but I’m still pretty excited!

For everyone reading this with zero interest in guitars - I do apologise! I will get back to the Whirlwind soon… :wink:

All the best

2 Likes