Special liveries or paintings on aircraft

Regularly there are special paint schemes to be seen on aircraft due to aniversaries or events, such as tiger meets. I thought a special topic to collect /showcase these liveries suitable for this forum.
I start off with a commemorative painting on the tail of a Dutch F35 (number F-014), to celebrate the 80 years of service of 322 Squadron. This includes a British roundel (the Squadron started in British service during WW2), a line up of all types of planes the squadron has flown since it was founded and a Grey Parrot (Polly, their mascot) on the arm of Major Jan Leendert Plesman, a pilot of said squadron, who was killed over Saint Omer on 1-9-1944 in his Spitfire, tail sign MJ-343.

This is the picture the painting was based on:

8 Likes

FGR.2 painted to mark the 60th Anniversary of Alcock and Brown’s first Atlantic flight.

3 Likes

Nice, and always interesting to learn something new… Quite a feat, this flight, speacially considdering the circumstances…

1 Like

An incredible flight for the time and a great story. I’m quite lucky to have seen both their Vimy at the London Science Museum and the mascot Twinkle Toes at RAF Museum Cosford. They have a collection of flight crew mascots on display.

1 Like

Not really a special livery but rather a prank: The F-4 Phantoms of the Colonial Navy | laststandonzombieisland

6 Likes

I wonder if the Americans did see the humour of the situation :slight_smile:

Mirage 2000-5F “Vieux Charles” from the French Air Force fighter squadron 1/2 Cigognes (Storks) honoring WW1 ace George Guynemer for the 100th anniversary of his death.

H.P.

7 Likes

Well, they were the ones who did it (VF-171)…

1 Like

Portuguese Tigermeet Fiat G-91.

4 Likes

Mirage 2000C Tiger Meet 2010

Rafale "Thundertiger” Tiger Meet 2014

Mirage 2000N - 100th anniversary of the fighter squadron 2/4 La Fayette in 2016

H.P.

5 Likes

SA.342M1 Gazelle from the " 3e Escadrille d’Hélicoptères de Reconnaissance et d’Attaque" (3e EHRA) Tiger Meet 2018

Mirage F1-CT painted for the deactivation of the Fighter Squadron 1/30 Normandie-Niemen in 2009

Reactivation of this unit in 2012 as the Fighter Squadron 2/30 Normandie-Niemen with a Rafale

H.P.

5 Likes

I think it’s fair to say that the Armee de l’Air certainly leads the way. Not content with flying the sexiest jets, they have to paint them up nicely. The Italians coming a very close second.

All the liveries I have posted were designed by Régis Rocca. You’ll find many more here

https://ostfront.forumpro.fr/t4639-peintures-speciales-occasions-avions-modernes

like this one (Tiger Meet 2017)

H.P.

4 Likes

Beautiful flair frames…

In 2013 the Dutch Royal airforce painted one of their F16 in a striking orange livery. This was a Demonstration kite, used for the Solo Display Team.

3 Likes

Italian F-104 to mark the first Roma - Tokyo flight

3 Likes

3 Likes

I saw that one display at Cosford airshow. Somewhere I’ve got the booklet and poster that the team were giving away as souvenirs at the show. It was a brilliant display from the pilot.

1 Like

H.P.

3 Likes

F-16AM block 15 “Fighting Falcon” - Esquadra 301 “Jaguares” - Tiger Meet 2021

Eurofighter EF2000 “Typhoon” - Taktisches Luftwaffengeschwader 74 (TLG74) “Falken” - The Bavarian Tigers" - 10 years Bavarian Tigers

H.P.

3 Likes