Special Ops Lizzie - Eduard 1/48 Lysander

Fascinating build Richard and a stunning finish.
tim

2 Likes

Ahhh! There she is… beautiful! :star_struck:

—mike

2 Likes

A wonderful thread to follow and an outstanding result, love your work Richard!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

What they’ve said, just brilliant & if there’s ever a Best Threads 2021 poll, this is one that gets my vote :+1: :tumbler_glass:

3 Likes

Thanks gents for all the kind words & encouragement. Don’t know what’s next … modeling mojo getting low so a break is in order but after cleaning up my workspace it called to me ever so quietly… hmmm…

2 Likes

amazing work Richard and a great addition to an already excellent collection! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope it’s not too long of a “break”

2 Likes

Thanks Russell !

2 Likes

Wow, those are some gorgeous birds on the shelf!

Really enjoyed watching this one start to finish. It was refreshing to see you pack this project full of scratch built details and thorough research, yet still bring the build to completion in a matter of months. Wish I could do that!

As Russell said, I hope the break’s not too long :wink:

Cheers,

Marty

2 Likes

Amazing looking build Richard!
The fuel tanker sets it off nicely!

1 Like

@MINUX Thanks Marty - waiting on more of your Starfighter build.
@Panzer_modeler -Thanks Ezra !

1 Like

Excellent end result; congratulations!

But I am also drawn by your display cabinet. I know these “hooks” that are connected to a wall but how did you add those doors?

1 Like

Thanks drabslab . The cabinet is a simple plywood box I built and finished. The shelf standards are fastened to the back wall of the cabinet.
I had a local glass company measure the cabinet after completion and they made the glass shelves and doors and installed them.
Here is a better shot of it …

6 Likes

Richard,
I’ve finally finished reading through your incredible Lysander build, and I do mean incredible. Your insight into what should get detailed, what needs to be scratch built, and what AM is needed all add up to what I feel is your best yet, and to think that it doesn’t have a single Red Rising Sun anywhere on the Lizzie,

The engine and cowling is actually a mini kit in their own right. You certainly did it more then justice. Even the effort to reduce the glass frames went further then I’ve ever seen before.

I’m really glad that I found the time to follow your adventure, and I’m actually looking forward to your next build.

Sure hope that you survived Ida as she did some number here on the Island, but nothing compared to what we saw New Jersey take on the chin.

joel

2 Likes

been watching for years for a good used Hardingh Brothers bench lathe (rebuildable). Second most accurate lathe ever built, but folks keep them forever. Rebuilding one is easy if you know your way around them. Brother in law has a Smitty, and has offered it to me several times in the past. Have seen some pretty nice work done on them; while some folks snubbed them. Only real issue with good machines is that 90% require three phase electricity.
gary

1 Like

Thanks Joel - good to hear from you . I’m pretty happy with the way the Lysander turned out - even without the red circles.
We were fine at the shore - Ida went by inside of
us . A bunch of rain/humidity but that’s it . Hope you guys are ok .
Cheers - Richard

1 Like

Hi Gary - The Smithy lathe is ok for my purposes .
Belt drive is nice for beginners as it saves the gearbox when you run the cutter into the chuck …
( ask me how I know ) . The only power feed is on the lathe x axis and only when the lathe is engaged.
No power feed at all for the mill which is really a glorified drill press - very coarse adjustments on the z axis . The the table torques a bit when boring - to stop it from doing so the gibbs have to be so tight that you can barely move the table . I’ve learned to push against the torque with my hand when retrieving the table for the next pass - a bodge to be sure .
All in all the lathe is better than the mill but it has seen me through the restoration of two motorcycles and building a stationary steam engine from castings in addition to model work and at an affordable cost but if I had the money I would dump it in a heartbeat for really good separate lathe and mill machines .
Cheers - Richard

1 Like

Richard,

By us we lost our electricity at 2:30 am but it came back on by 4:30am, so it had to be a popped circuit braker or blown transformer. No down lines or poles to deal with. We have in the ground lines for everything, so the issue is always when those lines are above ground. For the 1st time since Sandy our block which is a huge V so that all the water is funneled to the drains to the sump is in the middle of the street. But there was so much rain so fast that the sumps and or drains couldn’t handle it, and we once again had Lake Henry. during Sandy the water was 1/3 up my front lawn and my grade is +4 ft by the house, this time the water just washed over the curbs. My neighbor at grade with the drain is +1 ft by his house. Sandy rains made it into his house, but not this time.

Read this morning that NJ had the most related deaths at 23, and from some of the pictures on the news, you guys got it really pretty bad, even a real Tornado. We had a water spout just off the  North Shore but we live 5 miles do south of that.

More raind due here Sunday, and the ground is still like a sponge.  Sure which I could talk my wife into moving to New Hampshire.

joel

1 Like

I rebuilt the milling head on Larry’s machine a few years back. Bearings were like you said a drill press at best. He’s now snatched up a Bridgeport with the 42" table. I’m supposed to rebuild the quill and see what can be done with the saddle and table. His has the step pulleys on the head, so that makes it alot easier to rebuild. Getting ready to drop the hammer on him and ask him how much money he wants to dump into it. The saddle and table need a complete regrind (about $1500). Told him to run from any used Bridgeport! Still I can make it good as new for about $2300. He has a small Southbend bench lathe that needs some work, but that’ll only cost him two bottles of Blantons! Plus his sister inlaw’s phone number (again).

I used to have a buddy that owned one, and he did some nice work on it (mostly aluminum and brass). I did see a 22 target rifle barrel that he rebuilt that was as good as could been done on a Monarche EE! That’s saying something I might add here. Remember anybody can run a good machine, but not everybody has the talent to run a bad machine. Looks like your doing well pilgrim!
gary

1 Like

if the table is twisting in a heavy cut, the first thing you need to do is reduce the size of the cut by 50%. Sounds a lot like your table platform is flexing. not a lot you can do without doing something major. Larry has his mounted on a piece of 3/4" hot rolled steel plate (I told him 1" minimum). Then the bed mounts were shimmed to take all movement away.

Your ways probably need to be rescraped if it’s that bad. DO NOT ATTEMPT DOING THIS! Scraping is a black art, and actually is pretty simple. Yet you must know what your cutting and how many millionths your cutting. I cut 30 millionths at a time, and will not vary by five millionths. The gibs are probably the issue for you anyway, and may need to be reworked slightly (I’ll show you).
gary

1 Like

be safe!
glt