Spray Can Gloss And Dull

I hope I can provide an alternative option I went to Hobby Lobby and grabbed their Krylon spray can of Matte and Gloss clear. Not only can you spray it as intended but I end up spraying a lot of the spray paint I use into a small container and using it with a brush as a touch up option.

Again I would suggest avoiding the big “Home Depot” spray cans. They are designed to put out too much paint at too high a pressure. (Intended to cover rusty bar-b-que grills, old lawn furniture and raw wood fences in one easy pass.)

I recommend Tamiya TS-80 matte clear. I swear by it. Puts out a controlled spray, at lower pressure and the nozzle atomizes the paint to a smaller droplet size. You can lay down a model paint coat of almost scale thickness.

And I know. I know there are PLENTY of people out there gonna say “I use XYZ and it works just fine.” Well let’s see; $100+ model so I am gonna use this stuff in the big can that I keep in the garage (probably been frozen out there) that cost 6.95 instead instead of buying the professional grade product, DESIGNED for the application that cost $8.95.

That’s kind of like building a $60,000 hot rod and then painting it with those same big spray cans. I could probably do a decent job on a small motorcycle fender or on after-market add-on wheel flares but I could not get the coverage and finish I would want on the big auto body panels using those Home Depot cans!

Use the right tool for the right job!

3 Likes

I agree with you there was a lot of trial and error (that could have probably been avoided had i just learned to use an airbrush) learning the proper pressure and pattern to paint with a big can.

Don’t get me started on using the AB. Others have mastered it. i own one but I recently gave my compression to charity. The color change clean-up and the frequent clogging - I have had enough of it.

There are some camo and shading affects that certainly do require an air brush but for general model vehicle painting and even some camo I use the sprays cans. No clean-up after, rarely any clogging, good scale thickness paint coverage and no color change clean-ups!

But I know I am in the minority on this statement. So please don’t stone me for being different.

3 Likes

I cannot cast any stones as I am on your side just a little off to the side. I somehow got pretty good using the big cans. And 99% of the stuff that I build is tan anyways. I also try to get some imperfections in the paint as my military experience has shown me that CARC is nasty stuff that is generally put on by a guy who doesn’t really want to do it. Also, I store all of my paints in the kitchen in one of the cabinets. Still not sure if the wife has seen them.

No I agree with you michael. for many years i have used MM rattlecan metallizers because the same reasons. quick easy and no clean up. how many times we put parts aside that need to all be painted the same, then a hour later after an AB clean up you realize you missed a couple. spray can no problem, a few shakes and spray, clear the nozzel, put the cap back on, done. and it’s been my preferred paint for cars too but i still have a couple air brushes. you need them for most WWII aircraft. i just finished a revell b 25 using acrylics that drove me nuts. forget about clogging once in a while, it gradually clogged after the second or third pass and that happened after every time i cleared the clog!! anybody know why? i can’t figure it out. i added a load of retarder and thinned it almost too much where if i got too close it would go on watery and translucent and still it clogged.

Joe