Spray Can Gloss And Dull

If you use spray cans like me which brands are you using for gloss and dull coats?

Tamiya. Good coverage and have not had them dry “milky” as i have had with other brands

2 Likes

I agree. I’ve had good luck with Tamiya as well.

Jim

2 Likes

Dull Cote = Tamiya or Testors

Gloss Coat = Testors One Coat Lacquer. Over Testors One Coat lacquer base color.

I use Testors for both and have had only good luck with them.

Testors Dull Cote is okay at best, as far as the finish goes. Yes, it is flat, but not completely. Clothing on figures will still have a bit of an unrealistic sheen. I like to use spray cans when I can get away with it, but for flat finishes I bust out the airbrush.

2 Likes

I use Mr. Hobby Matt Coat. The mist is very fine and there is less odor.

I used to use Testors, but I find Testors sprays on pretty heavy.

1 Like

I’m new to using Tamiya (TS-80) Flat Clear. It seems to be doing the trick.

—mike

2 Likes

In addition to Dullcote, Testors make Lusterless Flat that is lacquer based. It fives a dead flat finish.

1 Like

I’ve never seen that, but it’s worth looking for. Kinda like admitting they know their regular Dull Cote ain’t cutting it.

1 Like

I don’t use it myself but a few of the guys in our club use it and swear by it, and prefer it over Dullcote. And yeah I always thought the same thing.

That is the one I use. It is flat as can be.

1 Like

Do you use a rattle can or an airbrush for testors dull cote. In my experience you can mist it on with an AB and get a dead flat coat. Out of the can it goes on a bit wet and leaves a sheen.

This was hit with dull cote out of an AB

3 Likes

I give Tamiya’s Matte Clear (TS-80 rattle can) my highest recommentation!

As to it going on a bit wet simply hold the can back further (18-24 inches) so the spray falls almost dry onto the model surface. This will give you about the flattest matte surface possible using a spray can.

Great work on that Pz. I Flak if I do say!

p.s. Anytime you put a matte clear coat on wet (heavy) it is going to flow out giving you a smooth surface that will look more semi-gloss rather than matte. (Any smooth surface - even flat black will still reflect light at certain angles.)

For the flatest matte clear coat one needs to spray it on very dry which will then create a rough “toothed” surface that will scatter the reflected light and look even more matte.

Tamiya Matte Clear (TS-80 rattle can) is the ONLY flat clear coat I will use! Also no AB color change or before/after clean up so I can work much faster. ~ No, it is not a race but why waste time? Besides I hate always cleaning my AB!

3 Likes

What I am referring to here is the final matte overspray before starting the weathering process.

Just hold the spray can/ air brush of matte clear further away from the model and let the spray fall almost dry onto the model surface for the “flatest’” flat matte clear coat ever!

The dry spray will create the flatest affect.

1 Like

I feel like a cave man I went to hobby lobby and got a big can of the craft spray acrylics.

where did you get it? is it testors or model master. i never seen it before, can someone post a photo of the can?

Joe

yes but i don’t want a rough orange peel like surface either, especially on an aircraft. won’t that method leave a rough ripely finish?

Joe

No. It will leave a smooth, very flat surface. No ripples. Orange peel is something entirely different. You are not putting enough paint on to cause orange peel.