SprueBrothers Lightning Deal 6/30/21

$47.49 - RFMRM5050 1:35 Rye Field Model Sd.Kfz.181 Tiger I Intial Production Early 1943 North Africa/Tunisia with Full Interior

https://spruebrothers.com/lightning-deals/

Su85 with crew 29.99

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice kit. I built it last year and would like to build it again.

I hate to be so OCD, but could someone fix the spelling to Lightning? I mean lightening is not totally inappropriate, as it is intended to lighten my bank account Iā€™m sureā€¦

3 Likes

Scooped that one up

Is the lightning deal supposed to be them selling off old product. I swear Iā€™ve seen that italeri 1/72 refrigerated rail car three times in the past week?

Not at all - 2 months ago the Lightning Deal was the Meng Typhoon VDV, a hot brand new kit. The month before it was the Takom Blitz Jagdtiger for $24 - also a new kit and less than the HK shipping at that price!

Yeah, it seems like a mix. There are several things that seem to cycle back in that just makes me think itā€™s something they canā€™t sell, and things that are new and appealing, or perhaps have been around awhile but are still very popular. Both the latter disappear quickly.

Every so often itā€™s a brand new kit. A couple weeks back it was the new Meng f-18, but often it seems to be an old kit they canā€™t move

There are a couple kits I want but wonā€™t pay the $100 price tag for. I check sprue bros every morning to see if there is anything I desperately want on the deal. Some days itā€™s a real good deal

2 Likes

My pet theory is the initial batch(es) of the kits sell very well. Subjects like Takom Panzer III M, Panther A w/ interior & JagdTiger for instance.

However, at some point Spruebrothers does a big re-stock of a hot seller and gets broadsided by rapidly falling demand.

My speculation when the kit sales drop to a certain level say more than a yearā€™s worth of inventory in the warehouse based on current rate of sale - its time for a Lightning Deal.

No business would want 37 kits of a given Panzer on the shelf after sales drop to one or two a month in my opinion.

3 Likes

I check every day hoping for a deal on a lightning and finding myself disappointedā€¦

@phil2015 but once you do find one, itā€™s a great feeling. If the modeling gods are on your side, you can hit the trifectaā€”a lightning deal, a weekend special and a scratch and dent item all in the same order.

I hear what youā€™re saying. In the past I probably would have jumped on a lot more of these but nowadays Iā€™m getting more selective.

The Rye Field M-ATV they have there now is looking pretty tempting. Not my usual subject matter though. Of course the deal has to be weighed against the additional cost of some crew figures and aftermarket items. Then again thatā€™s really the purpose of offering loss leaders like this.

1 Like

Yeah, I just jumped on the Bronco discount to get an SU-152. I check every day.

I doubt Iā€™ll see the Tamiya p-38 lightning on their list ever thoughā€¦

$41.99

I was super close to pushing the button on the bronco 152 sad I didnā€™t

1 Like