Squadron is Gone - But now it's back!

RPM acquired Pactra & Floquil in the early 1980s IIRC. The ladies came aboard c. late 90s. or early 2000s.

Sounds like an investment opportunity.

Guess this makes it official. Complete liquidation bankruptcy.

I’m glad that I took advantage of their $5.00 a copy sale on the Squadron/Signal “In Action”, “Walk Around”, “Detail in Action” and “Walk Around Color Series” titles and filled out my collection. I am still quite saddened by their closing. They were always a great company to deal with.

2 Likes

Probably doesn’t compare, it is awful.

Don’t know if it makes sense to you and whether or not it’s even available, but it seems like the MR Modelbau set is available on their site for 48 Euro. As I said, while it wasn’t perfect, and I did do quite a bit of scratch work, I thought it was pretty good overall.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Squadron M88 book issue (forked topic)

I forked the topic. More to see how it would work than anything else. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The “forked topic” seems to have worked well. How does one do it though?

Not sure if it’s a moderator only thing, but you have to use the “wrench” icon tool upper right and click “Select Posts” and then you have various options for moving to existing topic, or creating a new one.

Must be a Mods only function as I don’t have a wrench icon.

Ahh… well I figured they saved some of that stuff for mods only. :wink:

It must have been around 2010 or so, at Eaglequest (?) or something like that near Dallas. At any rate the same year a well known jarhead wrecked his Bronco at the hotel. I met the HMFIC at Squadron, who name was Chuck if I recall. He wanted to do books using my reference photos for all of the different MRAPs I had taken in Iraq. But when he told me the compensation plan, I politely declined. It was like Napoleon Dynamite working all day at the egg farm for “like a dollar an hour.”
He tried to hype it up by telling me how cool it would be to have my name on the cover of at least three books, which I could not care less about. I’d rather have the cash in my pocket, which is why I continue to sell them myself.
I don’t regret that decision for other reasons. Not long after that (I had been working for Legend Productions for some time offering references and ideas for kits) I learned from Lee that Squadron took delivery on a bunch of his kits and never paid, to the tune of $4000. I offered to help broker a deal for him to be at least partially compensated, but oddly Chuck never took my calls. The deal I did broker was arranging for Sprue Brothers to become the sole distributorship in the US for Legend products.

I’m sorry that they’re gone. When my kids were younger we’d make our yearly pilgrimage to the warehouse where you could roam for hours and buy shopping carts full of kits and supplies for far less than retail. If that weren’t enough, they had a first rate spread in the break room. Cold cuts, veggies, chips and cookies of all types, soft drinks. The only thing that could have made it better would have been some gals from Tilted Kilt popping the lids of some cold ones wedged between their assets.
I will miss them, but the kids are grown and I have more models than I’ll ever need, And my wife opens a pretty good bottle of beer,

5 Likes

Their actually back . I got a email saying thier a new company new procedures even a new state,Gorgia I believe . anyone try them yet ?

1 Like

First I’ve heard! Let’s see what happens!

1 Like

Here are 2 emails I received, for those interested:

5x1

5x1

Hello fellow modelers!

We are excited to announce that squadron.com will be returning, under new ownership and management! Squadron will be back!!!

As most of you know, MMD-Squadron Holdings, LLC (The parent company of squadron.com and Military Model Distributors) filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy earlier this year. After 53 years of providing a place for modelers around the world to purchase their new and most favorite models and supplies, the end looked like it was upon us. This was a travesty we could not let happen!

Knot Models is a hobby merchandiser founded in 2016 that primarily does business in the Amazon Marketplace. Knot Models was founded by Chris Decker, a 20 year industry veteran who has built up and sold both hobby retailers and manufacturing companies over the years. Some of you might be familiar with Trident Hobbies, which became FreeTimeHobbies.com, and the model lines, Midship Models and Yankee Modelworks. Chris founded or was instrumental in bringing these lines to the marketplace.

In April of 2021, Knot Models purchased the business assets of MMD-Squadron holdings from the bankruptcy court in Texas. We have been working tirelessly since then to rebuild and replace the systems that squadron.com needs to operate. We have also been working to source inventory from manufacturers and distributors around the world. Our goal is to relaunch squadron.com in early June of 2021 with over 15,000 products available for you to purchase!

As we get closer to our launch date and have more details, we will be sending out more information. We are excited and eager to join you in this new chapter of Squadron.com!

15x1
1x5 5x1

Until then, Happy Modeling!

Chris Decker

www.squadron.com

‌

Squadron.com 6679 Peachtree Industrial Blvd, Norcross, GA 30092
— — —
— —
Unsubscribe turner-nick@comcast.net
Update Profile Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by no-reply@mmd-squadron.com powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

Try email marketing for free today!|||

1 Like

5x1

5x1

Hello Fellow Modelers!

We are excited to announce that www.squadron.com IS UP!

Our team has been working tirelessly over the past 6 weeks to be ready for this day, the day we can say, www.squadron.com is back and running!

We have cleaned up the navigation, eliminated a lot of products and categories that were not core to our vision of what Squadron is going to be in the future. We have also sourced thousands of models kits, detail accessories, paint, books and tools for you to order! We are still loading hundreds of new products every week, so if you don’t see something you’re looking for, check back often or email us and we can prioritize getting it loaded in for you.

The new site does operate a little different from the old site:

• We only allow in stock items to be added to the shipping cart. We do not plan on taking ‘backorders’.

• If an item is out of stock, you can sign up to be notified by email when it is available again to be ordered. Be quick on this, we may only have a limited number, and if you can’t catch the item in stock, you’ll have to sign up on the email list again.

• We are offering FREE SHIPPING on orders over $39.99, for the continental US and we have adjusted shipping costs for all other order.

• One important item you need to keep in mind. Any and ALL orders placed before January 11t, 2021 were cancelled when the original company filed bankruptcy. We will have additional information with regards to the bankruptcy in our FAQ section in the coming weeks.

The relaunch is here! We are excited to share this next chapter of Squadron with you.

15x1
1x5 5x1

Until then, Happy Modeling!

Chris Decker

www.squadron.com

‌

Squadron.com 6679 Peachtree Industrial Blvd, Norcross, GA 30092
— — —
— —
Unsubscribe turner-nick@comcast.net
Update Profile Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by no-reply@mmd-squadron.com powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

Try email marketing for free today!|||

1 Like

Yeah, but what’s he use for Dunkelgelb?

3 Likes

Will squadron have its own private postal system like Sprue seems to have?
I swear I get a ordered package from them in about three days.

WTG Chris! It’s been a few years since I was in touch with him, but from my experience with him he is a more than worthy candidate to take over the reigns of Squadron.

1 Like