Stalingrad factory diorama 1:35

I was bored so I tried out the overall composition.

Now I am bit worried that the factory a bit ‘clean’ to be in Stalingrad during ww2 :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Great work so far :+1:

I tried to find a photo showing a half plastered wall the way I imagined it but I failed.
Maybe it was only my imagination which made sense to me.
It would give some interest to the wall though.
I found this though:
I get the impression that the lower part of the wall has been tiled, more expensive than plaster.

2 Likes

Debris on the floor needs to come from somewhere.
Broken window glass → the windows must be broken
Loose bricks → must have fallen out of some brick structure
Broken pipes → there must be a broken pipe line somewhere

2 Likes

I would like to damage the walls or even the roof constructions. But I am really not sure how and I am really scared of destroying it for real :sweat_smile:

In real life things get built to be “perfect” and then they deteriorate, break down or get destroyed
In the scale model world we have to built it “perfectly” broken from the beginning.
To be able to do this we need to research (ask Google about images) to find out how the real
object was constructed and try to figure out what it would look like when broken/destroyed

1 Like

I have many pictures saved but no way I can do something like this:

Boiler5

and I do not know how to destroy the walls so the steel structure could still be there.
To be honest I really do not know yet how to connect the structure to the wall :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe put a concrete casting on the top of the wall??

1 Like

That would be very interesting! It opens up the option to have it damaged and the reinforcing steel bars would be sticking out.

Could the roof construction be ‘cast’ into this concrete so it would stick out the both sides?

2 Likes

It would need to stick out on the outside to be able to support the part of the roof that overhangs the wall

1 Like

I think you have the skill to do that. Build the structure intact. Leave some joints with very little cement bonding them. Remove critical load bearing beams here and there. Put it in a warm oven. when you take it out you can “assist” the twisted steel quite easily. Finally, give a few areas a few well placed whacks with a hammer.
I used to try to model what I saw in East Berlin for my DR layout. There were still a lot of damaged structures in the 80’s. Museum Island was a prime example. You may even have better luck than I did. I had to use mainly ABS plastic as Evergreen was very hard to come by in Berlin, especially the structural stuff. Speaking of which, Plastruct does make quite a lot of those roofs trusses and other things like metal stairs. Saves a lot of time.
Have a look at their catalog at plastruct.com

3 Likes

Thanks for the trust you put in me :sweat_smile:
I will try to make some bends on the roof construction but I do not have the profiles yet.
I would like to have the roof like this:

But then the things under it (stairs, pipes) should be destroyed too. And in that I am even less confident that destroying the roof.

7 Likes

I’ve been enjoying reading the input into this diorama and the development of the dioroma itself.

If the diorama were to show the initial phase of the German advance into Stalingrad you could keep the destruction to a minimum, which would be a bit different.

2 Likes

I made the front wall of the factory:

I have a pipe valve, lamp and some cable holders and wirings.

I would like to use the valvo because it is a nice detail. But I do not know where :thinking:
I was thinking it could be used here with the pipe going in to the factory through the window I had mentioned:

5 Likes

The wall looks great. Your project but I would probably save valve for another project that starts with valve planned for in the beginning where the function and spacing can be worked out and not as an add on, imo.

2 Likes

Thanks! Any feedback is great :smile:
I wanted to use the valve because I find the other side a bit empty and I would like to play with the idea of having the pipe go through the window frame.

1 Like

Don’t let me stop you. Your project, your rules. :+1:

1 Like

I tried to make the concrete casting with the roof construction in it:

Everything is just in a prototype version. I just wanted to make sure that it makes sense and get some advice.

I made glued the ‘triangle’ to the wall:

I plan to cut the ‘concrete slab’ to it will copy the angle of the roof. So the corrugated metal sheets will sit tightly on the concrete.

I have a bad feeling about this. I acted kinda hurried and did not think it through as it is very late in here. I may have made a mistake and I hope that tomorow I will not have to repair the damage I done tonight :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Lift the roof beams on top of the concrete if it is still possible
or extend the concrete molding one brick downwards.

1 Like

I’m liking your work and dedication on this project . You’re thinking everything through and your results are very good !!!

1 Like