Star Wars Millennium Falcon, ILM Concept model

Never knew that one!
I can see why on those grounds this idea was turned down. For the star vehicle, you always need something unique and visually interesting. They probably made the right decision.

Interesting you should mention NASA. I remember reading something a while ago about NASA engineers saying that the only SF ships which could work in real life, were 2001’s Discovery, B5’s Starfurys and the Eagles.

2 Likes

Lucas was a Genius, stood by the courage of his convictions to change the design and go with his gut instinct, the Concept drawings are merely part of it’s evolution. It must have took strength of character to say, “look, I know we’ve spent $10,000 on these models, and you’ve all put your heart and soul into making them, But I’ve just been chewing it over…”

PP I didn’t know NASA said that, that’s amazing.

1 Like

decided to go with the battered space freighter look, maybe with holding company lettering on each of the spice containers, such as Hutt enterprises and so on.
This is the first salting, 6 or 7 still to go, till it’s mainly space ship grey with previous colours showing through, a bit like the finish of the Nostromo prop.
first coat salt cjpg

2 Likes

second stage of the salt.
second coat detail
second coat general view

4 Likes

going onto the third stage, and getting darker and greyer.
third coat c

4 Likes

You are a-b-s-o-l-u-t-el-y talented!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Agria, I appreciate your praise.

The tail end of the fuselage looks very bare and plain. So I’m kit bashing some tank parts from the spares box together with Styrene sheet to create a vent area.
aft end structure build b
scribing the curve using a spare can of the same diameter, matching it to the tail end, here it is held in place till the glue dries. Then it should paint up great.
aft end built

7 Likes

Ok I get it, you’re not a big fan of Star Wars.
Tink ignoring model
the tail end with a start made on the weathering.
rusty tail pipe b

5 Likes

starting on a plain black base for the model, a tongue and groove floor board cut to size and the groove filled. Painted in grey primer.
base board in grey primer

5 Likes

KILZ aerosol primer?

well that just about wraps it up, just the glass dome to assemble and it’s done, thanks for watching and for all the comments of support. here’s a final view of it in comparison to the original Concept sketch by ILM.
on it's base e
concept art for Millenium Falcon c

7 Likes

Wow, looks great and fast. :+1:

1 Like

This is some great model making, but it sure is a good thing George Lucas liked hamburgers! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Great result, congratulations!

Tamás

1 Like

Very impressive work with very simple materials. Its a great visualisation but I wonder how iconic it would of become if they had stayed with that design. Like @Russelle said … Im glad GL liked burgers lol

2 Likes

Here it is sealed inside it’s glass case, this seals the model in so I can’t fiddle with it, overdo it and change it, It’s decisively done, finished, the project is terminated, at an end.
glass case b
Move on to something else. Oh look, there are other prototype Star Wars icons that were changed for the better, the ATAT was drawn originally with ten wheels.
AT AT concept sketch

8 Likes

Now I actually like that design… You can’t beat an ATAT as we know them… But that one with wheels is cool… And big by the looks of it

2 Likes

I agree with John, that looks cool with wheels.

1 Like

That would be an amazing model if you decide to do it!

If you put it to the vote, than

Yes, do it: 1 - No, forget it: 0

Tamás

1 Like

I’ve already ordered the ten wheels, so I’m on it. There’s a period of time now, gathering the raw materials for the build.

4 Likes