Static Engine builds

Here is the start to my GP-35M Housatonic Rail Road HRRC 3600. Here are the conversion parts.

1 Like

The real deal, GP35M HRRC 3600 at the depot in my home town, Pittsfield MA in 2017. This is the junction my grandfather retired from in 1959 from NYCRR.

See my Good Golly Miss Molly thread.

1 Like

Reconstruction starts, removal of unnecessary parts and start of adding upgrade parts a la Cannon, angled filter box and filter hatches. It is as close as I want as I am not going too far and become a “rivet counter”. I just want it to look the part as best as I can do.

1 Like

Filter boxes and hatches added. I also bought and added the correct exhaust stacks.

2 Likes

An image of the EMD F7A after Conrail bought it from NYC or Penn Central, and repainted it, somewhere about 1976, I believe. I originally thought it was a B&M but now believe it was NYC or Penn Central that Conrail took over?

My current collection of 1/87 Athearn Blue Box diesel electric locomotives. I have 2 that are WIPs and 3 more in storage in the “planning stage”. Still searching for the illusive RS2 or 3.

1 Like

The “one of”. One of a kind, only one I have done with a motor that runs. I did it for my son as HRRC 3603. He and his kids run it occasionally usually around Christmas as he sets it up to circle the Christmas tree.

1 Like

I got a primer coat on then did the yellow that is in the middle of the body. I just now started masking the windows and yellow to do the dark green.

Here’s the other WIP, an Athearn 1/87 GP40-2, Conrail with Kadee couplers. I have the body done and painted, the trucks painted and next is assembling the rails and painting them. This one may sit a while as I need to get the HRR GP35M painted and finished first as it was started first.

In that picture back a ways showing HRRC 3600 at the junction in Pittsfield there is a mountain in the back round on the right side. That mountain is Day Mt in Dalton MA and it is rumored there is Hessian gold buried there from the Revolutionary War. Not only did Gen. Henry Knox pass through but also the Hessian troops the British hired when they were on their way home with their gold payment, or so the story goes. The Appalachain Trail also crosses Day Mt so you can hike up and take a look around, may want a metal detector! I am not sure how true that story is.

Back to the GP35M HRRC.The masking is about done, ready for the dark green.

1 Like

I never realized that building static engines or cars with AM to better replicate the actual engine or rolling stock is basically what we do with plastic models. And your painting technique is definitely the same.

For me, my main interest is in semi realistic operations, so my engines and cars do get handled more then I’d like.

joel

1 Like

One of these days I am going to create my own fictional RR line and do one of my basket case closet queens as a fictional engine on that line, no one can prove me wrong!!! LOL! Been churning that idea over ever since I picked up 2 partial U Boats. I have a U-28B and a U-33B for possible donors.

Yay! Go for it! I’m all for subverting established norms in modelling. The question is, how far to push it? I think you’re talking contemporary real world but with just a little license. There are other options: I’m a bit of a steampunk fan (but not the Bassett-Lowke stuff :face_vomiting:) and while I won’t be creating a railway layout I did intend to do something of the sort for the initial Railway Group build (but, as usual, it didn’t happen) but as the “Railway Structures” GB has been extended I might just manage something (maybe :crossed_fingers:t2:). But without pushing it that far you can give it a twist. Normal looking until you look closely and realise the Zombie Apocalypse has just started…
This guy likes “N” scale:

But he’s flexible:

Cheers,

M

1 Like

The green is done.I have a few spots to touch up as the mask leaked but only in one small area. Then decals and rails and snow plows.

2 Likes

Nice!
A trick to prevent leakage of thre second color is to shoot a little clear along the edge of the mask first. It seals it, and if anything does leak underneath it’s clear and won’t show.

1 Like

As far as leaking on the above engine, they’re along the grill covers which are difficult to seal with tape. Not so sure that clear would solve that problem. Rather then clear when I need to seal the tape edge (which is rare only because I’m more then some what lazy and always look for the easiest way), I use the same color that I’m masking.

joel

Hey , I got an idea! I’ll just touch it up! Did it before and will do it again, I am a bit lazy also and related to the famous military planner General I. M.Apathy.

I made it easy, scraped the offending green off and used a small pointy 10/0 brush as a liner to do a thin line. The window frames that I missed I did with a 4/0 pointy brush. All is looking much better. Thanks for the tips which I can try on the next mask job.