Static grass question

I was shopping around and found several applicators on Aliexpress for under $30, but you get what you pay for! Then I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/TruePower-70-7006-Grass-Applicator-Tool/dp/B0754HPNZF/ref=asc_df_B0754HPNZF/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459392134472&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12547681615472374815&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000376&hvtargid=pla-568805586133&psc=1
Not crazy about the “potato-masher” design, and it’s more expensive than the others (and probably still made in China!), but it looks better. Any comments? Has anyone else bought this model?
:grin: :canada:

So I’m attempting my first diorama from the ground up and I choose just to do a blend of turf and static grass and opted out of trying to get it to stand up. I want a grassy field effect but not crazy high grass, thought it looked more in scale as I applied it. To do or not, when your scene taking place? Early spring grass is low, height of summer it goes dormant without heavy water. I think in 1/35 just laying it down as it falls is actually a fine effect.

Wasn’t there a guy on that series, ‘Hornby - A Model World’ that was building an enormous train layout that used a technique to get the grass to stand up? I vividly remember him doing it, but can’t remember what technique he used.

Not sure if this helps, I do have a static grass applicator but find it a faff, so I tend to use a number of methods combined.

I create my base grass from dyed teddy bear fur (see image below)…

…Then I trim to length and start adding different materials, e.g. trimmed bear fur, and suitable proprietary grasses. Once trimmed I comb the fur to a more upright position, and then blow the other materials (see image below)…

And here’s one I’m working on now…

Both scenes are 1/72nd (Braille) scale, and both have a base size of A4, I haven’t yet used the method on 1/35th scale, but I think it would work.

G, :beer:

3 Likes

@G; That’s really excellent work in 1/72. From the finished shots it looks like 1/35!
:grin: :canada:

2 Likes

I can get the Woodland one for about $150CDN in my shop. Battery powered however. Plug in for it is extra (thanks Woodland)

Not sure on that one. I watched it in parts here and there so he could well of done. I just use my technique of dropping it on, and then gently blowing over it … luckily hot air is not something I am short of :joy: :joy: :grin:

1 Like

No comment, :roll_eyes: :wink:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

You know me to well G :rofl:

Add the grass liberally. Flip the base upside and tap it. Then flip back upright and gently blow across it. It will now sand up

1 Like