Steam Locomotive On A Cable Car

Steam Locomotive On A Cable Car Crossing The Canyon Of The Rio Grande River In New Mexico, USA, In 1915.

6 Likes

The tension in those suspension wires …

3 Likes

quite a sight to behold!!!

2 Likes

… The tension in the operator LOL

3 Likes

Great picture, Harv. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Amazing. Thanks for posting this.

I gotta wonder why they are hauling the loco across the canyon? Looks like they are building a dam? A construction loco to haul fill from the other side of the river?

Being located along The Canyon Of The Rio Grande River, I suspect this is SW-W of Taos, NM and the photo faces S. I suspect the rail spur serving the construction area is off the Denver & Rio Grande Western’s so-called “Chili Line.” The bridge in the background must be a railroad bridge because in 1915, there wouldn’t be nice bridges for cars. But that creates a conundrum. The only place N of Santa Fe, NM, near the canyon that a railroad spanned the Rio Grande is just NW outside Santa Fe. I don’t know if that is part of the The Canyon Of The Rio Grande River.

Map of Denver & Rio Grande system, 1903.

I don’t know if that is part of the The Canyon Of The Rio Grande River.

Not sure myself. That is the caption that was with the photo so I don’t know how accurate it is. I’ll have to do some research and see if I can find out more about it.