Steam locomotives in use in Germany in 2022

I like it. And I have to brush up on my German

Steam locomotives in use in Germany in 2022

3 Likes

Wow what a great video! Is that common in Germany and are they used anywhere else?

That I don’t know. I don’t know how often they’re used in germany. I hit the translation button under the comments and it said something about their brought out when the diesel electrics are not available and there’s extra traffic. Germany used steam up into the 70s and maybe even into the '80s.

Thanks for posting this, Fred! In fact, the scene is only about 50 kilometers away from my home. I know the area a bit.

The first comment says:
Wegen mehrfacher Nachfrage: Zum Einsatz kam es, weil die geplante Diesellok nicht zur Verfügung stand. Der Einsatz war somit wirklich eine Ausnahme und etwas Besonderes.
in english:
Because of multiple requests: It was used because the planned diesel locomotive was not available. The mission was really an exception and something special.

The speaker says that this steam engine is based in the town of Ettlingen, that’s only 20 km south of my hometown Karlsruhe. As I read in the comments, this engine was built 1921 in - Karlsruhe … :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There is another video showing another steam engine being used in construction service in 2022. So cool to see preserved equipment utilized even if only on occasion.

1 Like

Tortsen, very interesting. Do you ever get down that way where the dampflok is based?

Thank you for the translation. It sounds as though the operation that day was by popular request, something akin of a working excursion trip?

I just found out that the newly redtored steam locomotive at Doe River Gorge is preparing to start pulling excursion trains in the fall/herbst. I sure do hope that life will be more settled then and I can resume participating in their railway program.

1 Like

I don’t recall how long their steam was used in revenue service, but apparently Poland used steam locomotives up until a generation or so ago. They have/had one or two steam ‘safari’ railroads that were very popular in the proceeding decade or so. I’d love to get over there.