Storage Shelf Archaeological Dig

1995 - Dragon/DML Panther II
(aka The Wild Card - part 1)

After the two prior cats, this one seemed naturally a good choice. The model built better than most of the DML kits of that era in my experience. Basically stock with a few add on like the Tamiya infrared sight and other details. The tracks were the hardest indy links I’d done to that date. Two different links and one had two parts.

At a small local show, the models first contest with around 250 entries it won 1st place and Best Armor.

(WTF?! - I was stunned, had never won a 1st place in a WW2 armor category before and never thought Best Armor could ever be within reach)

After the show several folks came up and stated how much they love the ambush style finish, overall paint and finish. I flabbergasted but very happy.

I thought I had actually at last built a good model!

OMG! I was incredibly wrong as I would soon learn.

The models next contest was at a nom-IPMS contest, non-AMPS open format Gold, Silver & Bronze show. This thing of course was my best entry but I also took the Early Panther G and a T-72 I was confident (very wrong) was a good model plus some assorted junk.

To be continued

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing all this with us Wade. Fascinating, and humorous! Keep it coming…

Thanks, Jim.

1 Like

Ditto that!

1 Like

This is,so true about having kits that aren’t built and sit waiting until skills improve. I have the following inventory on that wait list:

3 - King Tigers
10 - Panthers, some 25+ years
12 - Tiger 1’s, some waiting 33+ years

In fact some of the State-of-The-Art kits waited so long they are obsolete kits that are at best mediocre compared to,the best new releases.

2 Likes

1995 - Dragon/DML Panther II
(aka The Wild Card - part 2)

The Open Format Medal Contest had been meticulously thought out. Major seven or eight categories like Armor, Auto, Ship etc. The models would be judged based on points 1 to 10 by five judges with the lowest and highest scores tossed. The three middle of the road scores would be averaged for a final score for the model. A judge could have models in a category he or she judged but was not allowed to judge his or her own model.

Example
J1 - 7. J4 - 8
J2 - 3. J5 - 9
J3 - 10

Scores by J2 - 3 & J3 -10 are tossed out as they are the highest and lowest. The remaining three judges are averaged for a final score of 8

Based on a statistical analysis of the scores, a breakdown of six standard deviations would occur forming a bell curve. :bell:. Judging would start as soon as the first model hit the table from registration at 10am. Judging should wrap just after 2:30 pm when registration closed.

This data would be projected into non-eculidian space resulting on a hyperbolic geometric distribution to which Fourier series and Tensor transformations would be applied. These scientific and mathematical principles would determine the models that placed Gold, Silver & Bronze respectively. The Best of Category would be derived from the above with an additional iteration of processing. Likewise Best of Show.

Multiple PC’s were networked together and would run using massively parallel processing to provide results in real time. The custom code was bullet proof being written in UNIX, ADA & Pascal with triple redundant back up. NASA had allocated a days worth of supercomputer time if needed. While the host club farmed out most of the judging they retained total control of the network and database.

The IS/IT/MIS team consisted of the following: a System Analysis, a Computers Programmer, MicroSoft Network Engineer, two PC techs and of course a MIS manager.

Human Bias had been engineered out of the system. Awards Ceremony was planed for 4pm.

In concept - it was :clap:brilliant :clap:

So anyway, the club discovered that most of the rank and file contestants were IPMS members who were sometimes reluctant to do open judging. The judging shortage resulted in my friend MP and myself being recruited to judge. We were assigned Armor. Due to a lack of judges there was only one other Armor judge KG.

KG was an IPMS legend, outstanding modeler and ruthlessly effective judge who weilded a big Mini-Mag flashlight like a light-saber. He cut through contest models like Darth Vader wasting rebel scum.

KG was very entertaining pointing out he wasn’t giving any zero scores despite most of the entires deserving them. I got an education in finding punch marks and construction defects I will never forget. He scored a model obviously very low (1 or 2) I asked what about the nice finish and weathering? Looks nice counts for nothing when you have half a dozen exposed punch marks on top of the model.

This was my first encounter with KG. I thought he was super critical then I noticed UNLIKE practically every other judge I’d seen. He ACTUALLY looked at every model. He ACTUALLY read the documentation if provided. He ACTUALLY consistently and fair checked each model. He was fair and he was consistent.

He came to my Panther 2 that had won a Best Armor a month before. I thought the model was good…the following is paraphrased.

KG - Wow! This guy (me) really wasted this time

Me - Find something?

KG - Well I’m not giving it a zero but I should (waves lightsaber) the bottom isn’t painted, the cupola is hatch open but doesn’t have a figure I can see bare basic on the hull floor, the engine deck isn’t sealed off I can see bare plastic thru the grills, the tracks have a million punch marks, the tracks don’t fit against the idlers, the tools have mold seams, three super glue spots and counting.

Me - Wow! What about the paint?

KG - Paint looks great but the painting doesn’t matter with all the BC issues.

Later KG looked at my mediocre Panther G which I felt was inferior to the Panther II .

KG - There’s not much right with it but there’s not much wrong with it either that’s what matters.

It was Graduate School for Basic Construction

They ran out of judging tickets.

Someone had to run to Wal-Mart to get a couple of printer cartridges so they could fire the printer up again. MP & I take a break and go grab McDonald’s.

I lock my keys in the car when we get back:)

Judging ran over by 4pm MP, KG & myself were judging ships.

By 5pm were were helping with aircraft.

5:20pm all the judging is doe and they can feed the data into the system

5:30 pm the computer systems divide by zero, go code 86 and are down for the count.

6:00pm they are scoring by hand

6:15pm - I get the car unlocked (just barely) with a plastic pass key, I’d forgotten was in my wallet.

7:00pm - I’m a fat guy and I’m really really getting hungry

7:30pm - they have the results

7:35pm - the computer had all the contestants names and they can’t cross index the entry numbers to the modeler names.

8:30pm - MP, KG & myself debate ordering a couple of :pizza::pizza::pizza: pizzas.

8:45pm - awards are announced

My results

Panther II - DNP - didn’t place
Tiger 1 - bronze
Early Panther G - silver (WTF?)
T-72 - DNP
SturmTiger - DNP
FW190D9 - bronze

Finally about 10:30pm after dinner MP & I got headed home three hours away.

At 2am I’m finally home and my wife is yelling at me…

5 Likes

1993 - 1/35 Tamiya T-72M1 #1

AKA - “The Soviet Tank that delivered -Revenge is a dish best served cold

The model had very humble origins, built in 1993, strictly out-of-the-box due a very tight family budget. Painted in Floquil RailRoad Pullman Green tweaked to pass for a Soviet green. The Model went together very well and was a true joy to build after over half dozen terrible DML T-72’s & T-80’s. All of those DML kits now reside in the local landfill.

Disaster struck the model when it was sprayed with,Testor’s Dulcoat after decals and gloss coat had been applied. It actually seemed to get glossing. :thinking:

Waiting a few days and applying another coat of Restful coat just exacerbated the situation.

Next up Folquil Flat - No Effect

Next up Floquil Military Flat - No Effect

I even tried with a rattle can - No Effect

I’m left with a glossy tank that looks like a Mayday Parade Tank.
1280px-t-72b3_-_parad2014nn-08

Tail between legs, I drag it to a couple of different local club meetings in search of a solution. If laughed counted the T-72 was a hit.

1995 (two years later)

At the 3rd club one of those IPMS Accuracy Police Geeks locks onto the model and rips it to pieces because of the glossy finish. There’s a diatribe about how wrong it it is and how I need to use a flat coat.

giphy

He rides it like a witch does a broom on a Halloween with a full moon. Finally some of the others tell him to let it go. Of course he can’t without a few more jabs. Finally he drops it.

Next we move to IPMS Accuracy Police’s model tank. While he’s telling us how magnificent his is MP whispers to me that guys is like a old dog with a soup bone - he don’t let it go.

One of the master aircraft modelers who’d been silently studying the T-72 for quiet awhile says, “Jacked up with Dulcoat? You’ll never fix with a lacquer enamel flat coat. Samething happened to my last airplane. First throw all of your Dulcoat, I mean all of it the trash.
Next hit it with Pactra Acrylic Flat. It’s got to be Pactra Acrylic Flat. Nothing else will do. It will kill all of that gloss and go dead flat. It (T-72 #1) will be OK.”

I thank him and do as suggested.

A few weeks later, I’m getting ready for a model contest and short of entries. I say what the hell and take the old T-72M1 as my out of box entry since I didn’t have anything else.

Well well, Mr IPMS Accuracy Police Geek from above that just would let it go brings his tank and enters the same category. We chat, he makes sure I understand fixed gloss issue or not my T-72M1 has no chance against his tank.

At awards, his tank gets 3rd, my T-72 gets 2nd. 1st goes to a superior model.

IPMS Accuracy Police Geek come over furious.

"YOU!!! YOU!!! BEAT! YOU!!! BEAT! ME!!! ME!!! WITH THAT? NO WAY! NO WAY YOU YOU BEAT ME!!!

He talks to the judges and yes, the T-72 he ridiculed in front of his friends beat him in front of his friends. He made such a spectacle of it, they couldn’t help but notice.

Fast forward IPMS Regionals a few months later. Me still short of entries the old T-72 goes to the show.

Rinse Repeat exactly the same thing happened again but this time a lot of my friends are there to witness a repeat of the spectacle.

YOU!!! YOU!!! BEAT! YOU!!! BEAT! ME!!! ME!!! WITH THAT? NO WAY! NO WAY YOU YOU BEAT ME!!!

Out of reverence to my father I didn’t say SWEEP!!! But I wanted too.

So a totally unexpected oldT-72 ended up having a nice little contest career and shutting up a detractor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The good, bad and ugly of a IPMS club and/or contest.

3 Likes

@Tank_1812 Ryan, yes very true.

Early 1996

Taking what I had learned two new models were built. One of my close friends who was in the know insisted new releases, freshly build perform best and give an edge. Partly because the community isn’t yet fully familiar with the kits short comings and defects. Partly because judges really get sick of looking at the old cast of familar Sherman M4A3’s, Tigers, Panthers, T-34’s, and so on.

So I built DML’s then fresh faced M-46 Patton. It wasn’t Tamiya but it wasn’t half bad either. The model was placed on base as the first line of defense against judges with flashlights. Being on a good base forces the range of engagement to open up. It also keeps judges from picking up the model and nitpicking the suspension from underneath. It also allows model to post up and claim space on the table. Risk of breakage is reduced because the base is handled not the model.

Plus it looks nicer.

As we all know the base isn’t judged as part of the presentation but correctly employed the base will benefit the model.

Two stars were added to the base plus a name plate. Sizzle and bling are subtle influences on all but the most battle hardened judge.

The M-46 Patton beat one of KG’s established models a Tamiya Merkava on its first outing. KG was somewhat surprised and I was too. KG had the superior model in all regards in my opinion. I discovered I had developed a judges eye and knew the M-46 had got lucky. More importantly, I knew WHY it had got lucky.

While tire worn and tired now, the 25 year old model had an excellent run on the contest circuit even receiving an award at a IPMS Nationals.

The Flak 3.7cm AA gun had a nice run on the contest circuit as well. The angry x-wife nearly destroyed in later years.

1/48 DML/Tri-master FW-190D9

Rare diversion into things with wings. A moderately successful model on the circuit. Downed by wife (later x-wife) with a duster.

2 Likes

2003 - Tamiya 1/35 Panzer III L

(aka The Last Panzer finished)

Various fiddly bits added, Fruil tracks, PE engine screens, model tow cables, green armored glass in driver vision port etc that nasty flag of theirs to add a color contrasting splash for the judges.
On the bright side it’s a 24th Panzer Division tank so it’s going to Stalingrad and you know how that ends.

Successful on the circuit.

2 Likes

No better way to gain insight than from the inside :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A cautionary tale of running a contest. KISS, what can go wrong will go wrong at the worst moment. We did a slide show of the winners once maybe twice. On the front end I think everyone liked it, backend it was madness but we had a plan and it things went sideways we drop the slide show. We also had a time limit at the facility to at the fun.

I think every modeler should judge at least one show. Cuts down on some complaints about the referees I am mean judging but more importantly it helps to advance your building because it trains you to focus on basic construction which is where most models fail in a competition, even for folks like myself who don’t compete it helps to move you up another level. Well that’s my opinion anyway back to the Wade show.

1 Like

This is not to imply IPMS or other club is bad but the issue is people. When you take introverts and have them be extroverts things can go a miss.

1 Like

Excellent points my friends on all fronts.

I should point out the club that did the Open format Medal show made outstanding effort. Their next medal show ran like clock work. It was also one of the fairest shows around :slight_smile: Experience is an Excellent teacher. They streamlined their process and developed it very well while keeping true to their goals and values. Major admiration for them - for all of them across the board. Outstanding club.

Those are fabulous points regarding gaining experience judging will help one understand and improve all at the same time. Quite the benefit.

Repressed introverts can sometimes get carried away as mentioned above. Mr IPMS Accuracy Geek was 98% of the time a good guy and credit to his club. Sometimes if he’d got excited and you couldn’t get him distracted with a different subject he unleash with inappropriate stuff. Most of the time his club members and friends were able to help him manage socially at events.

Likewise modelers (myself included in this) can be a little too thin skinned after pouring their heart into a project. Judging really helps train one to be more OBJECTIVE and less emotional about your pet project. Learning to be objective judging models will help one learn to be objective and fact focused in other areas of life.

Regarding IPMS the majority of what’s written and intended by the organization is good and a net positive. IPMS’s bad reputation essentially comes from a small group of folks who often aren’t even IPMS members. They do things that reflect poorly on their club or themselves and IPMS often gets hit with misplaced blame.

I’m not up to speed on today’s IPMS. I plan and to keep it that way. I helped co-found a model club back in 1989 that’s still around today. In 1996 it voted to become an IPMS club. I did my time as a club officer including a few years as club president.

It consumed a lot of time. Being OCD/Aspie - I let it consume as much as was needed to do it right to my standards. Sometimes it was fun. However the additional hobby related work load cut into model building. One of my dear friends tried to warn me many times I was paving the road to :fire: burnout :fire: I didn’t listen.

(FULL throttle and spray more nitrous - just like racing:)

After several years burnout hit in 2004.

I’ve completed one model in seventeen years as a result. All my fault. Didn’t listen to my friend or my wife (later xwife). Building for fun in the past 20 to 24 models a year. Building contest grade back then I was good for six models a year.

At this point, my goal is to build as much of the stash as possible to the old flashlight friendly basic construction standards of 1995-2004 time frame. Maybe do an AMPS show if CoVID is under control at some point.

Immediately after the vote several long time excellent members quit. They were good modelers and level headed people not dregs as often claimed by some IPMS fanatics. In hindsight it spoke volumes about the taint associated (rightly or wrongly) with the IPMS brand. Reasons given by the folks that left, they’d had experience as officers or members of other IPMS clubs in the past and wanted nothing to do with it.

3 Likes

Club President or Contest chairman are “an unappreciated field of endeavor, sir.” to quote SgtMaj Choozoo. Walked those footsteps before
and foolishly agreed to be Head Judge again at our show in May. One of these days I will retire from contest staff and really really mean it. :roll_eyes: :joy:

I do like the written feed back from AMPS contests.

1 Like

Contest Chair and Chief Judge are both demanding roles and thank less tasks.

Written feedback when it’s constructive criticism is invaluable. Best part of AMPS.

Modeler wonders why his pet model got bronze instead of gold and reads the feedback “two glue spots under turret front face & floating road wheels left side rear”

Good communication matters.

2 Likes

Just proves that one is never really CURED, just in remission for a time :rofl:

:beer:

1 Like

@Namabiiru Mark, Remission is perfect description!

I like that PZ III L

1 Like

The poly caps used to allow wheels to rotate have been the undoing of many an otherwise well built model.
No, road wheels on a driveable tank does not ever look like the teeth on a teenager in dire need of dental braces

2 Likes

@Petro, Marc thank, the Pz III L was a good fun build. Hopefully, later this year a trio of Pz IIIN’s will join it on the shelf.