Stripping paint from parts that are already dried

I want to strip the paint from a couple of parts that are already dried, they didn’t come out right. So I want to strip them and start over. Any suggestions! ?!?!?

1 Like

What type of paint have you used?
Acrylic or enamel?

3 Likes

Depends on what type of paint you used, but oftentimes a simple soak in isopropyl alcohol will do the trick. You don’t risk harming the parts and it’s pretty benign. Soak, scrub with an old (but clean) toothbrush, rinse, repeat if necessary. For tougher paints there’s brake fluid, Pine-Sol, and there are commercial model paint strippers. Of course make sure you’re not using solvent strippers else you’ll end up with blobs of melted plastic. Always test to be sure - ie paint some scrap Sprue with the same paints, let cure and then try and strip.

Jimbo

2 Likes

Simple green and some time stripped Tamiya paint

2 Likes

Acrylic paint. Tamiya

Spray on oven cleaner will take enamel off. Just got to watch the fumes and be careful you don’t get any on bare skin! Can be a bit nasty.

1 Like

Thanks Jimbo

1 Like

I’ve had luck with methylated spirits. Might be better solutions though.

1 Like

Tamiya paints can be removed by a good long soaking in Windex. The ammonia in that stuff eats Tamiya up like there is no tomorrow.

4 Likes

I second Carlos’s recommendation.

1 Like

I use Super Clean from Wal-Mart, purple bottle. It does not have a strong odor, strips paint and chrome plating from plastic without messing up the plastic, and is relatively safe to handle. That means follow the directions on the bottle, don’t get it in your eyes or drink it. It won’t hurt to get it on your hands while using a toothbrush to clean the part but wash your hands well. It leaves them kinda slick feeling.

Put some in a small cup or pan, enough to cover the part. Let it sit for a few minutes, then stir the part around a bit. Once the paint starts to come off you can just stir it some more or use a brush to loosen the rest. Rinse with plenty of water when clean. If the painted part has been coated with a clear lacquer (dullcote, etc) you’ll have to strip that off with thinner before using the cleaner.

2 Likes

Denatured alcohol

1 Like

Perfect Thanks alot.

Thanks Everyone. I Used The Windex suggestion and it worked perfectly

. So now the process starts over.

2 Likes

Next phase in the process, Black primer coat, seeker heads are natural steel, red & green stripes hand painted. black tail fin tips.

2 Likes

On early Sidewineders like those, the whole missile should be white. Yellow stripes for the live warhead section, brown stripes for a live rocket motor, and the seeker head window is clear over the internal instruments

The bare metal seeker heads did not come along until the AIM-9D/G/H Navy version, or the AIM-9L multi service version.

Oh OKAY Thanks. So MINE are going to be just SLIGHTLY off. I’ve enough work into them already. I’ve masked off the areas covered in this article and repainted the missiles. Final reveal tomorrow. So Hopefully they will come out better than my initial attempt. I WILL certainly keep in mind about the reasons for the two color bands and their meaning.

I still need to do a little touch up paint around the seeker heads. Otherwise they look alot better than the Initial attempt.

1 Like