Stug. III ausf. B (Tamiya kit 35281)

Its been a two step forward, one step back type of day today (or is that two steps forward, five steps back?!?!).

Things started well with a package arriving from BNA Model World (im in NZ, so just a short transit):

Not much to say about the Aber product, very good and ticks all the boxes. The masterclub tracks look nice, not too much flash to be seen, but some flash here and there:

I assembled a run of ten links, just too see how easy (or hard it would be):

Assembling the run is when the day starting to well… not go so great. They are a bit tricky to assemble, it seems there’s some flash in the mating parts which means they don’t exactly pop together. There’s a bit of force needed. The pins don’t really pop in either, I ran a drill through each connection (the pins themselves are nicely detailed, but a bit fragile so you cant just brute force them into place). They do look good though which is a bonus!

I then went to check the short section I had assembled fitted onto the Tamiya sprocket… BUT THE TRACKS DONT FIT!!! Im not sure why yet, but I think the Tamiya sprocket is sized to suit 400mm wide tracks, but the Masterclubs are 380mm wide. Which confuses me as I had thought that all ausf b. models were fitted with 380mm tracks…

Time to start thinking of a plan B!

1 Like