Stug III G late restoration

Found this on Youtube posted by the Oz Armour and Artillery Museum. They have a Stug III G that according to the video was destroyed by it’s crew to stop it falling into the hands of the Soviet forces.
The museum is restoring it back to running order and posts a new video each week showing the work they are doing, they estimate it will take 18 months to complete. Worth watching if you’re a Stug III fan, a fan of engineering or a fan of German armour.

This is episode 1 they are currently (21st March) on episode 8

6 Likes

They are also rebuilding a Jagdpanther and an Goliath.

Yes I’ve seen them on their channel but not watched any of those yet. I’m not much of an armour modeller but after watching these I think a Stug III could be on the bench soon.

Well after a long long wait Oz armour are back on the Stug III G restoration with repair of a wheel.
New to me I didn’t know that there were reinforcing tubes welded between the wheels!

3 Likes

Another episode in the restoration of the StuG III

2 Likes

Watched all the videos; the lads are going to have a lot of fabrication experience after they complete this one.

It’ll look great.

2 Likes

Agreed, but then they have already done a Grant (running), JagdPanther (could run if the correct parts become available) and Goliath plus other bits plus they have a Tiger they did before I found their channel, not watched any of that yet and they are restoring a Panhard EBR 90 to static condition.

See here

I love their Aussie Grant Mk1 restoration, along with the “rust-o-ration” one they did using one of the three Grants they discovered in VIctoria. I’m subscribed to their channel and It’s making me obsessed over building a Grant as well. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes watched the Grant build and likewise I’m tempted to build a Grant but, I’d want to do an Ozzie one with the grenade screen and the extra armour on the transmission cover. My knowledge of the Grant kits and AM companies is lacking on if any one does these parts.

If you want to put up with a high parts count kit; MiniArt has them.

If not; thewn Takom is the choice.

The trick will be the frontal armor plate on the transmission cover. The anti-grenade netting can be fabricated with brass rod and netting.

Next instalment of the Stug IIIG restoration

1 Like

I’ve been following this restoration. These guys are artisans. being able to craft the traversing mechanism on the main gun is nothing short of amazing.

1 Like

At last we have another instalment on the Stug restoration.

2 Likes

Finally, some progress on the Stug III.

1 Like

There is a running StuG IV in the armor museum in Poznań, Poland:
StuG IV - powrót do hali (youtube.com)

2 Likes

Lets follow along as Steve takes a look at the condition of this nearly 80 year old “new” transmission that arrived together with one for their Stug IIIB, but that’s another story!

And suspension is complete

Bonus
A Stug IIIB arrives for a future project.

1 Like

I ho[pe their new Stug becomes a runner as well. These guys are putting some massive hours and some back-breaking work to bring all those vehicles back to life. It’s inspiring to see every video.

1 Like

They have a early transmission that came with the late one for the G so I hope it will also be a runner.
That will be a sight, a Stug IIIG and IIIB running around their track together.

2 Likes

I just saw the video where they’re inspecting a gearbox that will go into the StuG III G. The gearbox internals are in amazingly good shape, for a gearbox that’s 80 years old. I was amazed.

1 Like

These guys are amazing.

1 Like