Sunken Zero

I am currently planning to build an underwater diorama showing a WW2 Japanese Zero languishing on the sea bed.
Can anyone offer suggestions on appropriate weathering effects (corrosion etc) for such a subject that has been resting for around 70-80 years? Am I correct in thinking that the ailerons, rudder and elevators would have been fabric covered, and that these would have deteriorated to expose the metal framework?
I guess the main sections of the aircraft would have been aluminium ā€¦ so no signs of rust.

Thanks,

Paul

2 Likes

Google Pacific aircraft wrecks

This film on Youtube might be handy for techniques for your project:

2 Likes

litespeed,

Coincidentally, it was that very YouTube item that inspired me to tackle the project ā€¦ most impressive!

Paul

1 Like

Hope you post details of your progress on the project Paul. It would be fascinating to follow :smiley:

You might check what materials zeros used in construction. I think they were skinned with a duralumin alloy. After 40-50 years sitting in sea water there might not be much left identifiable as an airplane. Just speculating, Iā€™m not sure.

Cheers,
C.

Lots of pictures here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sunken+zero+plane&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b
also:

and tons of images here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=underwater+zero+wrecks&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjavLi1k53zAhVok-AKHRh5DOYQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1290&bih=829&dpr=1.09
Cheers,

2 Likes

1 Like

The zero was predominantly constructed from an aluminum alloy called extra super duralumin, which had the advantage of being both lighter and more durable than other mixtures of metals. While this duralumin was subject to corrosion, the plane was ultimately treated to prevent this.
I guess it would depend when it was manufactured.

1 Like

Or you can really go to the extreme with the Fuselage !

3 Likes

Not a Zero but a sample of underwater Bomber

wreck

2 Likes

TBM-3 Avenger Wreck with very interesting undersea growth depicted on the fuselage - unfortunately I do not remember where I downloaded this from any years back. This is probably the most impressive undersea wreck I had seen at the time.!

2 Likes

Another few close up pics of the undersea wreck of the TBM-3 Avenger

with very interesting undersea growth depicted on the fuselage

2 Likes