T-62 w/o Fenders

Okay, I have removed the pics, so there’s not double-posting. Geez! Now i have a crink in my neck. LOL.

2 Likes

Well, here’s what I decided to do with the fenders:

Got some mojo for this today so maybe I’ll wrap the building phase up, I’m pretty close to being done. I still have a little tweaking to do with the fenders.

4 Likes

While I’m at it, are there any recommendations on what sets I should get for small bits of stowage? I’m not looking for a dedicated set or anything. Just something that I can mix and match that would be appropriate. I’m already looking into Miniart’s plastic barrels and cans set just for the cans.

2 Likes

I don’t know of any dedicated resin sets aimed specifically at the T-62. Over the years I’ve seen them done up with folded mattresses, guitars, bicycles, and all manner of plastic jugs and other booty, For Afghanistan or Syria might I suggest a fly strip?

I would guess a side of goat hasn’t been done often.You could easily modify poor Porky.

3 Likes

What exactly is a fly strip? I tried searching it but all I got was the thing you put in your home.

Also, thanks for those ideas, I like those! I’m not sure about a goat though… :joy:
What I meant was maybe more just like a modern accessories set. But again, thanks for those ideas. I’ve already pulled up some stuff following your prompt.

1 Like

In Afghanistan, we referred to sides of meat hanging in front of a container as a fly strip, as they attracted hundreds of flies.

2 Likes

Ahhhh… That makes a lot of sense

1 Like

3 Likes

I can imagine the smell of it all… :nauseated_face:

Granted we did the same in Iraq, but we used methods other than hanging a slab of meat outside.

2 Likes

Should I add the log (?) on the back of the tank?

1 Like

Never saw one in Afghanistan. Even old photos from the Soviet occupation don’t show them often.
Wood is a precious commodity there.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ve got another question: the cans on the back of the tank. Are they fuel or smoke canisters? And how should I go about adding the mounts without the cans? From the pictures posted I think I should either leave them off or only have one.

Edit: I have determined that the mounts are on hinges, so I think I might try my hand at scratching one of them and having a canister on the other side.

2 Likes

The cradle that’s hanging down in the middle of the rear plate should be bolted to its mount so that it is relatively horizontal. Two each support one fuel drum which is hald on by metal bands. If you search a little more you’ll find much better examples of how they’re affixed.

Pretty much the same method for all Soviet MBT’s.

2 Likes

Okay, so can I remove the supports on the mounts or should I leave them? The photos from the Middle East I could find didn’t have the supports attached; however, it was hard to tell.

1 Like

The trapezoidal mount (red circle) w/4 holes is welded to the hull, so leave it. The angled tank bracket (blue circle) is removable by removing the 3 bolts.

2 Likes

You have a choice as to whether or not to leave the welded mount. In countries such as Afghanistan, where fenders and indeed entire engine decks are missing, the welded on mounts are often removed or broken off.
These are T-54/5’s, but as I said above, the mounts are all very similar:

Also note that the inspection plates for the fan are missing on these two tanks as well. In fact they are missing in every T-62/T-55 photo I took. And on each of those, the fuel tank mounts are likely as not missing as well.
An interesting modeling effect is to show the welds where the mounts used to be.

3 Likes

@18bravo , @HeavyArty , thanks!

I won’t remove the inspection plate for the fan because it’s (sadly) molded to the hull already. I’m starting to lose mojo for the build phase, so I don’t want to try anything too drastic. I was looking around for paint scheme ideas from the Star Decals T-62 A/M in Afghanistan sheets and this one stood out to me:

STAR351297

I figured the yellow and blue over the green would stand out nicely. This scheme appealed to me the most compared to the other vehicles on the four sheets I looked at. I’m not trying to replicate this exact vehicle, just pulling inspiration from the camo pattern. What do y’all think?

Colin :grin:

PS I think I will grab the 3D printed tracks from T-Rex for this, the kit has link-and-length tracks with large sections. The tracks are okay except the sections have too large a space in between links. I would grab metal but I am curious to try some 3D printed ones.

2 Likes

A splash of orange wouldn’t be out of the question. Sorry about the dude hamming it up in the photo…

3 Likes

You don’t have to remove the inspection cover if you don’t want to, it’s your tank. If you do want to, it’s a really quick and easy job to do.
I think the green, yellow, and blue would look great.
Just my opinion, take it however you want.
Ken

3 Likes