T-62 w/o Fenders

I am currently working on a T-62 from Zvezda (among other projects) and I was wondering if anyone has pictures of a T-62 with no fenders or with sections missing. Don’t know if that’s even feasible, but I thought it would look cool. Thanks in advance!

Colin
:grin:

3 Likes

Here’s one in Afghanistan (1985)

Taliban-crewed T-62’s (1995)

H.P.

5 Likes

In Syria (T-62M)

Another Syrian T-62

H.P.

3 Likes

Perfect, thanks! Is there any way that larger middle sections of the fenders would be removed or are those all one piece?

2 Likes

They were missing in Afghanistan all the time. They would cut anything off that could be used for something else. There’s an access cover on the back plate of the T-62. (To grease bearings on fan, presumably) It was often missing as well as they’d use it as a skillet.
Just cut out sections wherever you see fit, and file from underneath the give the cut edge scale thickness. The rougher the cut the better. I got tons of photos from over there, by I’m sure that by the time I’m able to sort through them (most have not been digitized yet) someone will have posted many more that you can use.

3 Likes

You mean where the storage bins and fuel tanks are?

2 Likes

Fenders are one piece with stiffeners along the underside but I imagine if the was severe damage to them those sections may have been removed.

Edit: as Robert alluded to , it depends on who the user is, Taliban or other 3rd world country beat the heck out of it.

3 Likes

Here’s one I’ve already posted. It’s the T-62 I drove while I was there. Pictured is the “other Rob,” a weapons guy from another ODA, whom I invited to come with me. It took quite a bit of planning on my part to set this whole thing up. We made a video as well.

Note missing front fenders, and how boogered up the rest of the fenders are.
You can see me on the left taking a photo of Rob. So who’s taking the photo us of?

Why - this guy - one of my interpreters, named Mirwais.

And here we are 21 years later. Turns out he lives fifty miles from me. I never knew until last week.

14 Likes

Great idea. I built the Tamiya M48A3 and cut off the fenders just because I thought it would look cool. Nothing prototypical about it, just thought it would look mean with all track all around :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I did the same to an Italeri M47 based on these photos I took. It used to be one of my favorite project kits - cheap, easy to build and easy to convert…

4 Likes

Nice! Do you know if that tank was ever in service with no fenders or that they were removed later? They look removed and rotted away :face_with_monocle:

Yes, my thoughts exactly with the Tamiya M48

2 Likes

I’m sure they were removed years after being taken out of service. This one was being restored.

2 Likes

Yes. I thought I responded but I guess not! Sorry!

@18bravo , @Frenchy thanks for those photos.

Does anyone have more pictures of middle Eastern T-62s?

2 Likes

Tons. What country? Conflict?

2 Likes

Uhm nothing specific, maybe ones with an interesting paint scheme. I was leaning more towards Afghanistan or Syria, but whatever is fine.

1 Like

I’ve got a lot of interesting schemes I took in Afghanistan. I’ll dig throught them.

2 Likes

Syria.

Iraq.

2 Likes

These are not the ones with the interesting camouflage, but nevertheless, they are T-62’s I encountered. I’ll find them eventually. I know I have one with this scheme:

The rest are behind us in this photo:

Of course a lot of them ended up like this. Note the missing access plate in the back that I mentioned earlier. Almost every single tank was missing that plate.

Two more of the one I drove. Note spider web wheels:

I’l post more as I find them.

5 Likes

Stop it! My neck is hurting from having to turn my head around to get a good look at your pictures, LMAO.

4 Likes

You down under mate. :sunglasses:

3 Likes