Takom T-14 Armata finished

@Ivanhoe6 i read it about five years ago. May get the audio tape version and listen to it for a long car ride coming up. Another great read is team yankee, talks about a similar scenario but i believe it was Deed army units and not client states.

Both great books… Red Storm was one of those best films never made … Would of been amazing … Amazon Prime… Please read this lol

1 Like

@Johnnych01 you could make a series out of the book.

1 Like

Oh yeah, Team Yankee another great read !
If you can find it, Ralph Peter’s “Red Army”. Things don’t go so well for NATO in that one.
Dilemma: re-read both books and loose bench time OR???

1 Like

Re-read both for inspiration…:innocent:

1 Like

@Ivanhoe6 red army was a great read, i didn’t like that they never mention equipment by name though in the book. Besides that i loved every page of it! Also you don’t lose bench time if you listen to the books

Johnny, not a bad idea. I have a MiniArt T-55 with an interior that I could make as a destroyed tank and a Panda Abrams shelf queen I could finish. Then put the pair on a base with a little landscaping. Thanks for the idea !
Greg, it sounds like I should re-read Red Army. I forgot that they didn’t mention what armor was used in the story.

2 Likes

@Ivanhoe6 i have Tamiya’s original M1 Abrams that I’ve been keeping for a Team Yankee build. I was going to paint the kill rings on the gun mantle like the old German soldier told them to do. Then j was going to add a German recon Luchs 8x8 to create a dio. Maybe take a few artistic liberties with it but there is a part where they go through German lines and attack the Poles.

1 Like

Sounds like a great project Greg. When I go to shows the Tamiya 105mm is on my “hunt for” list.
It’s been a long time since my Panda M-1 has seen the light of day. I don’t remember why I got down on the kit and put it on the “shelf of shame”. But I seem to remember vowing to never buy another Panda kit again.

1 Like

@Ivanhoe6 i almost cave and bought the panda kit when it was on the lightning deals for spruebrothers but never did. I may pull the trigger one of these days and maybe do a bigger dio with the Tamiya kit.

Good memory Greg! That’s how I got mine.

1 Like

The Panda M1 got good reviews when it came out, unlike some of their earlier armor kits. I think someone bought the molds (Hobby Boss?) so they may reappear.

@Ivanhoe6 yeah, I saw it a few months ago and almost bought it!

@Invader i wonder if it will reappear. I have never built a panda kit but am now very curious to see how it would go.

I just looked and Sprue Bros has the M1 for $55. They have a lot of Panda armor. I know their BMD is universally disliked.

1 Like

The Panda M1 is pretty good. Here is a review and discussion about what to fix on it.

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/264322/

1 Like

@HeavyArty i may have to get that in the near future

I seem to remember one scene in “Red Army” that features West German Leos, something about a rear-guard action, refugees and the Leos breaking cover to protect the refugee column. Other than that, the Russian armor is all “theoretical” if memory serves, maybe even something like the Armata…Great book though.
I thought Mark Greaney’s “Red Metal” was a decent read. It’s a simpler version of “Red Storm rising”, looks at a European war through several different narrations.

@rfbaer i do remember that scene, a bit vaguely. I’d have to re read the book, definitely a few hood diorama ideas from the book. I believe the book had talked about the btr with the zis anti tank gun on it but never called it by name. I’d argue and say that the most modern piece of equipment the Russians were using in the scenario was a T-80.

I no longer have a copy or I’d re-read it. I did pull my copy of “Red Metal” out and am a few chapters in.

1 Like

@rfbaer im going to see if i can get that on tape and listen to it in the car! I’ve never heard of the book until now.

1 Like