Takom's 1/16th. Jeep

James do you have a website where we can see what you offer, also did you ever get the chance to see about making a Sheridan basket?

I have a FB page with photos and WIP pricing list: Facebook.
Another price list is posted here: Just 3D printed some 1/35 accs. with Elegoo Mars 3 - #109 by James_Lee

The VN War Sheridan basket is in the queue for Nov./Dec. Will clear some order backlogs first. Obviously, much easier to fulfill orders for the existing designs than creating CADs from scratch.

Hi Dan,
You may have already seen this: I already have a CAD for 30 cal, and it’s a matter of CADding those mounts, which do not seem that difficult to CAD and 3D print in 1/16:

I think the decision is coming down to whether I work on it first and promote it or wait for someone to actually pay for it then I work on it.

It’s this chicken and egg question - what comes first? The fact is that these DO NOT sell well b/c the market is very small. I have not sold any of my same designs/prints more than 5 times so far. NOT a single one. This means I’ll never recover my time spent CADding or 3D printing. That’s OK b/c this is my hobby but it’s a terrible business model.

Unfortunately, I have been burned by some people more than I had hoped - asked me to design something, I’d spend multiple hours CADding, and never got paid for it. So I am not going to CAD and 3D print first before someone actually shows me the money. I hope that’s reasonable.

Kind regards,
James

1 Like

James, I didn’t know that you had a .30 cal already.
But the .30 cals have different mounts than the .50 of course and most model companies mounts and cradles are incorrect.

the M2 Machine Gun looks great. Ever considered creating one with the early barrel shroud?

@SableLiger and @Dan, like I said, those ideas are all doable but the words are cheap. Not going to CAD and 3D print them unless someone pays for it. Plain and simple. Just like your time, my time is valuable.

1 Like

I truly understand where you’re coming from. :+1:

AFV Modeller have just put out a 50 cal with all the correct features, its for the Sherman but obviously would work with the jeep. New casings and belt links are soon coming too, plus David is working on the 30 cal now.

The jeep kit builds nice but takes some careful aligning on some parts, the detail in places is outstanding, in others a little lacking. A fine basis for a scratchbiuld but OOB looks absolutely great.

Keith

But theirs is a late war version.

All this is fine and good if you have a 3D printer, not everyone has one or would use it enough to make it cost-effective. I just posted the Info for those that don’t

Maybe you misunderstood? I sell 3D printed resin accessories, not just the CAD STL files or custom CADs.

Kind regards,
James

Heres som pics. of the FC MODELS parts for the Takom Jeep.

Jeep Wheels 1
Jeep Wheels 2

I’m not quite shure if they are really worth it, the wheels do have markings on the outside walls but it is very fine. Also the edges of the tires are kind of squared off, I’m not shure if I will use them.
Maby after painting they will look better.
The logos are nice but where to use them ?

They were on the left rear of the jeeps. Prior to mid '42, both Willys and Ford put their names on their jeeps (MB and GPW respectively). The Dept Of War ordered this stopped, after that no makers marks could be included on military vehicles.

I agree with you on the FC tires as well. The kit ones look better to me.

1 Like

FC Model’s wheels are sad. I am sorry to see that your money went to them. It’s a shame that 3D printed tires in 1/16 look that bad. I feel like anything coming out of FC Model is a hit or miss.

Surely one of the 3D Decal manufacturers could step in and make some inexpensive tyre markings?

It feels like the aftermarket manufacturers are taking a wait and see approach to 1/16 vehicles if it lasts or a short fade.

kind of a dumb question I know, but gotta throw it out for discussion.

Is this the proper quarter ton to build and SAS Jeep? A 1/16th scale SAS Jeep would be over the top!
gary

1 Like

It is a good start, depending on the SAS Jeep in France, you have to add/build a second fuel tank under the passenger, reroute the exhaust because of said tank straight out the back.

If doing a desert SAS, works as well. Need to add the extra radiator.

Both need more guns not provided.

1 Like

A club member gave me 3D Garand in a leather pouch like on a motorcycle for my Takom 1/16 jeep. I can find some photos of them in use but looking for a US Marine jeep using this anywhere on the vehicle. Seems placement was a drivers choice. One with a .50 mounted would probably be hens teeth as it seems we didn’t use either mounted guns much.

I think the logical place would be on the windshield below the glass.