Tamiya 1/12 RC 166 build

Calling this one done folks and while I am very pleased with the results I am somewhat sorry to see it end . This was a real fun build with all sorts of new stuff to try . Couple that with the fact that it is another of Tamiya’s wonder kits and happens to be my all time favorite motorcycle made it all the better .
In the interest of full disclosure there are a couple of glitches. Most troubling is the photo etch chain needs one more link - it is too tight and has pulled the rear wheel out of alignment and painfully evident in a couple of photos.
If I had it in me to disassemble ( which I don’t) I would disconnect the master link in the chain and glue the ends to the gearbox sprocket leaving a gap of one tooth . This would be hidden by the outer shell around the sprocket but at this point I will live with it.
My other boo boo was not reading the aftermarket rivet set instructions thoroughly. All the rivets required shaving of the molded on rivets and drilling holes to accept the the aftermarket ones . This is obviously better done before paint . I didn’t realize that included the panels under the fairing and the two outer panels flanking the oil coolers which were painted and clear coated . I did retro fit said rivets but I nicked the paint here and there shaving of the rivets - my bad .
So here it is …

Thanks all for following along and complimenting and commenting. Now on to the Tamiya 1/12 Lotus - I’m sure I will enjoy it but it may pale by comparison with this kit .
Cheers- Richard

3 Likes