Tamiya 1:350 Tirpitz

By the way, your method of making the paper template was EXTREMELY clever and well executed!!!

3 Likes

I have built this kit using the commercially available wood decks. They work well, look good, and are easy to use. That is the route I would take.

Bill

2 Likes

My Eduard PE set came!! this is the first aftermarket PE set I have ever done so I’m very excited to see the results at the end.

7 Likes

Picked up a Razor saw the other day! my plan is coming together :grin:

2 Likes

Remember, worst case scenario is you build her post war!

7 Likes

the golden rule of modelling

2 Likes

Update on the deck situation!

Still looking very very rough but maybe this can help all of you get an idea of what I’m doing… now that I have traced all these details in pencil on the balsa deck, I can cut out the details from the plastic one and glue them onto the balsa one. Also, I added polystyrene under the balsa deck for reinforcement.

7 Likes

Looking better with every update @hobby1sh ! Can’t wait to see the plastic parts get added.

2 Likes

So I started using a razor saw but realized the blade is too bulky to make some of these cuts separating parts from the deck… for this reason im considering investing in a jeweler’s saw and a mini vise to clamp everything in place… any thoughts?

2 Likes

What type of razor saw are you using ? I think that the type of saw that looks like old double edge razor blades will yield the thinnest kerf available. You may have to use them without a handle or improvise one . If by jewelers saw you mean the type like a coping saw , I believe that these leave a larger kerf than the razor blade type .

1 Like

I did mean a coping saw yes, are you talking about those micro razor saws that are also hobby knife attachments…? I just fear that something like that would be too small for such a big job that requires this type of accuracy?? I have also seen coping saws being used for similar projects before

1 Like

I will measure my jeweler saw blades and razor type saws for thickness and let you know what I find .

1 Like

The Tamiya phot etch razor saws cut very fine lines at .005” and are quite sharp. They come in a couple shapes and lengths. I use them for all my fine cuts

4 Likes

Jewelers saw blade measures .016” thick
Razor type .005”
You can use razor type without handle or improvise - a popsicle stick with double sided tape on one edge will allow you to cut flush.

HTH - RT

6 Likes

Will confirm from experience that these really work a treat. Always pays to have one or two in the toolbox.

1 Like

Update on the Tirpitz!
I ended up bringing the middle section of the deck to my school and cut it out in the metal shop :sweat_smile:
I used a coping saw, a hacksaw, and a nice big vise to clamp everything in place and ended up using a razor saw to cut out smaller details and cleaned it all up with Tamiya extra thin, Tamiya plastic putty, a hobby knife and some primer.
The last picture shows what the deck looks like now!

It’s all coming together.

8 Likes

That looks so good jack!!!

2 Likes

Ah hell, that deck actually looks great! Great work @hobby1sh !

2 Likes

Wow! You achieved a great looking deck! Well done!

Bill

1 Like

quick update on all this super complex photoetch… Ive been working at this every day for awhile now… thought I would just post what I have going!

10 Likes