Tamiya 1:350 Tirpitz

Great progress with intricate PE … Well done :+1:

1 Like

just a few pics of me painting the hull! picking up some more paints for the camo scheme later today.

8 Likes

Great work buddy!

1 Like

Looking good.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

Alright alright, I need everyone’s help again. Now that I have painted up the hull, I need to pick a camo scheme for the ship. I dont feel like doing a tropical green camo but here are the 3 im considering:

#1 The factory camo. pretty simple, looks nice, very underrated, means i will have to paint almost everything white lol.

#2 the early June 1942 Camo. this is the camo that was used just before the crazy green camo used in July 1942. its very simple yet still not too boring

#3 The Classic, the 1944 splinter camo. downside of this camo is just how difficult it could be to paint.

another thing to consider is that I could pick any of these and then re paint a new camo in the future… however this is much easier to do with #2 than with #1.

thoughts?

3 Likes

White actually looks pretty clean. Personally, I’d do it that way, which makes life easier and makes it look less warlike-? Idk it just looks more dignified.

2 Likes

Checking with volume two of German Naval Camouflage 1942-1945, choice two is from January - March 1942 and not June 1942. Her turrets were covered in camouflage stripping, as were the barrels, along with some superstructure sections. The book has a photo of her in June with the stripped camouflage. The author does say because of the poor photo documentation, it was not possible to illustrate her from above.
I like number 3, but number 1 would give you a better base to make changes in the future. It is easier to paint a darker color paint over a lighter color paint than the other way around.

2 Likes

I thought that 2 was from before they added the camo to her turrets? I think you are correct about the months but from my understanding, the green camo was then added during spring when she arrived in Faettenfjord as seen here.

(on her way to faettenfjord I believe)

again, I could be wrong as I was with the dates before but this makes sense to me I think??

2 Likes

She was changed to the green camo only during exercises in the Trondheimford later in June 1942. This camo was applied on the starboard side hull only, and all the superstructure, as the portside hull was facing the mountains at Faettenfjord. Then she was changed to dazzle camo at the end of June for Operation Rosselsprung on July 5 - 7. From there the dazzle gets even more complex until July 1944.
Tirpitz had quite a few paint jobs applied to her during her lifetime.

3 Likes

so did #2 exist??? that is kind of the one im leaning towards and maybe doing the splinter/dazzle camo in the future. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes it did. Early 1942.

2 Likes

I have always preferred the ship as she appeared in #1. #2 is easy to paint, and #3 obscures too much of the ship’s beautiful detail.

Bill

2 Likes

I am always partial to Hotel De Tirpitz :grimacing:

7 Likes

I was always partial to the dazzle scheme. I did my Revell Tirpitz in the Rosselsprung scheme.

9 Likes

looks good!!

1 Like

Fellas! Its been awhile! Just posting a few update photos as business has been pretty slow recently- ive been pretty busy however I have done notable progress that I would like to share with all of you!

Firstly I have officially competed the early march 1942 paint scheme after some trouble with masking and a bit of bleeding through due to my own neglagence, I think it turned out great considering how I am an armour modeller and this is the first ship I have done in this scale!

The next two pictures are just more and more photoetch as I slowly build up the rest of the ship. this step isnt too exciting however it looks incredible and is very time consuming so I wanted to share it!

And thats about all Ive done recently- Ill make sure to keep everyone posted!!

7 Likes

She is coming along nicely. Mark :beer:

2 Likes

Looking great Jack!

2 Likes

Great to see an update, Jack! Paint looks real nice, and so does that wooden deck. Keep trucking on that photoetch, it will pay off in the end.

Marty

2 Likes

Hello all! I havent been active too much these days however you bet i’ve still been working on that Tirpitz!

Just so much photoetch :sweat_smile:

In the meantime check out the finished painted deck- its done in Tamiya deck tan as a base coat then Mission Models Russian 6k then finished off with Tamiya desert yellow.

The goal of this combo was to try to make it contrast with a nice peice of cherry wood I picked up as a base, more about that in the future!

I will start becoming more active on here since the photoetch process is starting to wrap itself up, thanks a million!

4 Likes