Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Out Of The Box

I have been working on weathering some of my armour builds but wanted to build another aircraft. I wanted something relatively quick to build so I chose the Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang kit which I am going to build out of the box for the most part. It’s an older kit but still a good one. Here’s a quick test shot of the lower wing. I replaced the kits four .50 cal. MG barrels with plastic rod that I cut to length and drilled out.

And a big shout out to my lovely daughter for for getting me a new photo booth for Christmas

3 Likes

Cockpit and Fuselage done. I made the harness myself. Everything else is OOB. I also got the port wing puttied, sanded and primed. As you guys know North American puttied the front half of Mustang wings for a smooth finish, no seam lines to insure proper airflow over the laminar wing.

More pics to come!

5 Likes

Looking good!

1 Like

Cockpit shot. The Tamiya kit does not come with decals for the IP so I had to scrounge one from my Tamiya Malcolm hood Mustang which I think is a newer kit.

3 Likes

Primed and Painted in USAAF OD. I found this colour from Vallejo closely matches Gentile’s P-51B so I decided on that. I am really pleased with it. You can also see the puttied wings better in this shot as well.

1 Like

Like So. This picture is not colourized AFAIK. The one with him sitting on the front of his wing is and is more olive green.

2 Likes

ETO Aircraft Identification strips on and Nose section of fuselage done. Strips done in Tamiya XF1, Nose painted in Vallejo (RAF) Red. Inside of flaps painted in Alclad Chrome. Underside in Mr. Hobby USAAF grey. Wheel wells in same Alclad Aluminum that was used on Mustangs. Yellow Chromate done with Tamiya XF4.

_MG_3604X625

_MG_3605X625

_MG_3603X625

_MG_3607xs625

3 Likes

Good progress, Dave! Looks good so far! :+1: I have built the same kit a few years ago and had no problems with it. Meanwhile it’s a model show veteran … :slightly_smiling_face:

Torsten :wave:

1 Like

Nice. I am going to do his red nose version and extra kills. I think this is what it looked like when Gentile bellied it in on a low level pass over Debden attempting to show off for photographers upon his return from a mission. It was written off at that.

1 Like

Weekend update. Prop complete

2 Likes

Love your choice of themes. Can’t wait to see more.

She’s completed now. Hope you like it.

3 Likes