Tamiya acrylic paint drying conditions

As I’m was browsing and searching the internet to get more knowledge for my scale modeling hobby.
I had written down some other questions I could think of while I was reading about the Tamiya Acrylic paints drying times.
One thing I was wondering about was, what are the drying conditions of Tamiya acrylic paints?
What I’m currently doing is as soon as I’m done with painting I’m putting my model in the showcase.
But, will the paint then dry properly like it should be?
Or should I do something else to let it dry properly?
I must add, I’m thinking that I have not a lot of space and opportunities to just put a model somewhere and let is stay drying for a few days or so before I’m putting it back in the display case or showcase I got.
I did search for this online, but I didn’t found the exact information I was looking for.
And as I’m not wanting to get distracted and get of the topic.
I decided to not click on any link that I could find on the search results on duckduckgo.com what I’m using as my default search engine.
And I did first look at the links before clicking on them, to make sure I actually got a website that was on the exact topic. And not on something else.
I also didn’t search on a lot of other search terms, because I’m not having a lot of time left for that.
I’m not really knowing much other terms to type and.
And I have a lot of other things I want to search as well, so no time to lose on hard to find information on one topic.

If the showcase is not airtight or totally sealed up, it should be OK. If it is a tightly enclosed space, you might want to let your model sit on your work table overnight and then place it in the showcase. Most people just have open shelves so there is no problem.
Ken

I have been using Tamiya acrylics for over 30 years now and this is what I do.
Tamiya paint will generally dry to the touch in anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes
at which point the model can be picked up with a latex glove and moved to an
area so that the paint cures. I let it sit for 24 hours to let the paint cure before
proceeding to any further work on the model. Placing it in a showcase or nearby
shelf is fine.
Works for me.
Cheers,

I agree with @Grauwolf, Tamiya paints seem to dry very fast, often the model will be dry before I am done cleaning my airbrush. At that point they can be moved anywhere to fully cure. But the latex glove is key as the paint at this stage is still soft enough to take finger prints

1 Like

The key word being “curing.” Some paints can actually change shades between wet and completely cured. I use the cure for 24-hours rule. Walk away, take a break and come back the next day with a fresh outlook.

1 Like

@tankerken If I remember correctly, my display cabinet probably is the Brimnes cabinet? From Ikea.

@Grauwolf Could it be that the Tamiya paint is dry almost immediately after a few seconds or minutes when it is sprayed on to the model? Because that seems to be the case for me. I’m always trying to find a spot where is no paint on the model or on a spot that is already dry, to pick up my model by hand, not gloves or anything. I have to carry it from the barn to my room at home. Have to walk some meters with the backyard counted in those meters as well.
Most of the times my models are staying in my display cabinet for days untouched before I’m working on them again.

@Mead93 Cleaning my airbrush would be a perfect job to do between sessions or if I have to wait for something. Or if my paint must dry before I can give it another go. Thanks for the tip. :wink:

@justsendit Good point. What does ‘curing’ actually mean?

The Brimnes should be OK, maybe open the door every now and then to let any fumes out if needed.

“Curing” is a chemical process/reaction where the paint molecules bond together and to the surface of what has been painted. The surface of the paint can dry to the touch very quickly, but curing can take days or even longer depending on the type of paint and how thick it is. During this time the paint, while being “dry” is still soft, can be easily scratched, scraped off -example a fingernail, or get fingerprints, dirt, and other things stuck in it. As @justsendit pointed out, some paints can actually change color a little bit during this process.
Gloss enamels are infamous for taking forever to cure, that’s one reason they developed acrylics, they do dry and cure much faster.
Ken

1 Like

Interesting to read. And thank you for providing me the explanation.