Tamiya Challenger 1, or "too much fun"

@Michael- That’s some fine looking stuff right there, and while I’m a big fan of AM, I’m also a big fan of scratching what I can. It’s not pain, it’s weakness leaving the body… If I was in the mood to wait (not your fault at all) I’d definitely order up the set that contains the radio antenna mounts as I’m shy one. I robbed kit #2 when I broke one doing kit #1. Oops. More shedding of pain to come. BTW, my decals arrived in perfect shape, thanks.
@Johnny- I’ll look. I always need some kind of mesh, either wire, expanded metal or pierced steel, and having a stock around would be a Good Thing. For paint, I’m going to do it the same scheme as the first one, also from deployment in the Balkins. I have enough decals now, even a 4-view plan in the Echelon sheet. For those that have that set of decals, it’s example #2. It’s got extra tanks and no added armor.
All this has fired me up to pull an M1 out of the Repository of Stalled Projects and do one from the same time period, same place. It’s become a theme thing now.

1 Like

A lovely rainy afternoon spent making a grease gun and two antenna mounts.

2 Likes

Russ, now do not shoot the messenger… The grease gun looks really good, but your ABAs are well over scale on the lower portion.

… And don’t blame me, I know your a perfectionist… That’s my defence :pray:

I know… I’ve reduced them some since I took that photo, and I may try turning them down some more, they’re just dropped in the holes now. I was afraid I’d lose the fillets when I did.

The various Challenger blogs running at the moment have inspired me.
Tamiya base, SMM update sets, and Masterclub inidividual link tracks.
The SMM Chally 1 driver’s compartment is installed and weathered. Will need to turn turret to either 3 or 9 o’clock position so the detail can be seen.
Basic paint laid in. Just started a weathering process - there is a fair bit to go. Yes, there will be stowage in the various bins.
Going to be a gift for a retired Australian Lt Col RAAC who, while on loan to British Army, spent time commanding a squadron in Kings Royal Hussars [correction - not Kings Dragoon Guards in original post]. He showed me one photo briefly and talked for a few minutes so the model is representative rather than researched and exact.

4 Likes

Did you mean Queens Dragoon Guards (QDG) ? or Royal Dragoon Guards (RGD) ? The Kings Dragoon Guards rebadged into the QDG in the late 50s or early 60s ?

Sorry ….Kings Royal Hussars

1 Like

Build question here… Given that I have the mesh basket mounted on the right side of the turret, where would the fine extinguisher typically go? I don’t have any pics clear enough to see.

You mean the small mesh basket ?

Yes. I would think on the splinter shield behind the basket, plenty of room and within reach of the TC.

Yes, it would normally be on the angled part in front of cocktail stick and to the rear of the small basket. It wasn’t always done but you could see them mounted to the mesh end of the basket as the mounting bracket is easy to adapt to various surfaces.

1 Like

Schweet!

Okay. Some basic stowage, front basket cover over a wadded-up camo net, and a bunch of new grab handles on the skirts and I think I’m within a few minutes of primer.
IMG_3480 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3481 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3482 by Russel Baer, on Flickr

3 Likes

Great progress Russel, it’s really looking the part with where you have got it to. Also, another hats off for all the scratch building you’ve done with it as well.

Man Russel, exceptional scratchbuilding here and great use of aftermarket. But your scratchbuilding really steals the show. A lot of dedication and minute detailing everywhere. A feast for the eyes and just an outstanding build.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Engine deck screens are on, outers are Eduard Challenger, inners cut down Eduard T-55 pieces.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking of what else to do on this before I paint, saw pics of empty fuel drums used as “dry” storage and had to do it.

Skirts are ready for paint.

3 Likes

Nice plan for the empty fuel drums :+1::+1:

1 Like

I saw pics, thought: “good idea”.

1 Like