Tamiya & ICM 1/35 Panther Ausf. D at Anzio, Italy

Dot filter started on the Tamiya Panther turret and port hull and Schürzen. Still getting the hang of this process.

6 Likes

While I was waiting for the oils to dry on the Tamiya Panther before I apply the VMS satin, I’ve decided the trailing Panther needs some more storage. I’ll probably add a tarp and some other small items.

I also scratch built some angle steel brackets that will keep the crates above the rear air intakes. It seems there were some crews that did this to their tracks to permit extra stowage, similar to this photo. I’m assuming they were held down by weight alone. I can’t see the crews having the tools to bolt them to the armored plate of the engine deck. Although I imagine they could have welded them on.

Turret and port side hull are pin washed. The VMS satin varnish . . . isn’t really very satin and I definitely didn’t have the right viscosity for my Iwata HP-CS. But I got it on none the less and I think it helped the capillary action of the pin wash.

However, now I’m encountering another problem. I went through two brushes just doing the turret and port wheels and hull. One was admittedly a cheap brush I got at a local art store, the second was I guess a cheap 5/0 brush from AMMO. Both lost a fine tip within 10-15 minutes. The art store brush I’ve used a lot, so I wasn’t surprised. But the AMMO brush was brand new. How do you keep the oil paint and thinner from quickly making the brushes useless for a pin wash?

:triumph:

6 Likes