Tamiya lacquers vs rattle can

I (like many here, I’m guessing), am not a fan of rattle cans. I have learned to decant so I can use Tamiya sprays through my airbrush, but that can be a messy process. I know that Tamiya has, within the last few years, introduced a line of lacquer paints in bottles, though I haven’t tried them. My question is whether these are basically the same paint as is in their spray cans, but already “decanted” for us? I’m particularly interested in their LP-2 White, which their own chart says is equivilant to TS-26 Pure White, as I’m looking at doing some display aircraft in the not too distant future and I can never get a good smooth finish with the standard acrylic whites.

Thanks!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello Michael.

Even though the link I am passing you doesn’t answer the point of rattle can vs lacquers per se, it does give you a good idea of a technique to achieve a smooth shining finish.

(26) How To Get A Glass Smooth Finish When Airbrushing Plastic Models - YouTube

I have been using the technique explained in the video and it does work. Be careful though on the “wet pass” since temptation to cover at once may lead to unwanted paint pools.

I used the technique in this Rugrats 1/48 Cessna 310 / U-3A. The white is Tamiya Lacquer LP-2 diluted with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner with retarder (item 87194**700), and the grey is Gunze Mr.Hobby Mr.Color 315 diluted with their Mr.Hobby Mr.Color Leveling Thinner 400 (the one with the yellow and blue sticker). The thinning/dilution was done as recommended in the video and airbrushed with 18-20 psi pressure.

Give it a look, it may solve your problem even with the acrylics.

Have a good one.

JFG.

3 Likes