Tamiya LP Lacquer Paints

Just a heads up guys. The new Squadron Shop is starting to carry the Tamiya LP Lacquer paints. Right now they only have about 12 or so of the the basic colors, but they don’t have in stock the Tamiya lacquer thinner with retarder, just the regular yellow cap thinner that doesn’t contain a retarder, and it’s not in the larger 250 ml container, but the smaller ones.

joel

2 Likes

Yes,they sent me an email

Anthony,
Are you going to order any, and test them out for us? Right now I’m mostly a Tamiya Acrylic lacquer (23ml) & Mr. Color lacquer guy.

joel

If any of y’all paint cars, having retarder in your LP paints is a definite must (take it from someone who paints almost exclusively with the LP line.) You can obviously make a great looking model without retarder, but it really does save so much time polishing. Tamiya makes straight lacquer retarder in a 40ml bottle, and you can add that straight to paint bottles. If squadron carries that, it’s definitely worth your while to pick it up.

It’s interesting,I wonder what they need this line for.I already use the regular Tamiya paints and thein them with Lacquer thinner with good results.I don’t see the need for myself to use them.I do like the AK Real line,they act like regular Tamiya for me.

I do like the emails Squadron has been sending

Dennis,
Whether I use Tamiya’s Acrylic Lacquer or Mr. Color’s Lacquer I only thin them with Mr. Leveler 400 with retarder already added. For hand painting basic colors, especially gloss, I use Tamiya Acrylic Lacquers. I mix and shake up the bottle as the bottle top is usually my paint cup. To that I add 1 drop Yellow cap and one drop Tamiya retarder. I don’t use the Mr. Leveler for thinning hand paints as I have to order it online, while I can get the Yellow cap and retarder locally from Hobby Lobby.

Anthony,
Tamiya’s Acrylic Lacquer paints have a different base then straight lacquers. Either one works perfectly for me as my go to air brush paint line. Other then the smell where Mr. Color is King, I just don’t see any difference in application, wet sanding, polishing, and waxing.

My reason for having both is that I get most of my paints and supplies from Sprue Brothers or ScaleHybbyist.com, so if I can’t get what colors I need in the Tamiya line, then I try for the Mr. Color line to fill my needs. Also Mr. Color has a great selection of Metallics that Tamiya doesn’t have.

joel

2 Likes