Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb (1/48)

Hey folks. Tank modeler here who enjoys building a plane or two every now and then. I’d like to share my work on this Tamiya Spitfire MK. VB. The Tamiya kit was excellent and fit well as expected. However, I lost a few parts that I had to either replace or hope no one would notice. Unfortunate, but still had fun in the build especially since this is only my first spitfire and I rarely build planes.

Thanks for looking!

11 Likes

Your Spit looks excellent. Weathering looks very good :smiley:

1 Like

I second what Tim wrote, James. Excellent result! I have the same kit still sleeping in my stash. Right now I have my hands on Eduard’s new Spit Mk. II and it’s also an enjoyable build so far. Have a look in my Bench Works Thread if you like.

Torsten :beer:

1 Like

Thanks Tim! Really appreciate it.

Thanks Torsten! I actually want to build an earlier Spitfire and Hurricane (possibly from BOB) so I can do a scheme with the Dark Earth camo :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing your build too!

Hi James,
Once again I am in awe of your excellent paint job and weathering.
I especially like the great camo!
Cheers,

1 Like

Thanks Joe, you’re very kind :slight_smile: Enjoyed this kit, thinking of starting another plane

Very nice job! What paints did you used?

1 Like

Thanks László! I used Tamiya XF 81, 82 and 83 for the camo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I like their paints but haven’t seen the newer ones IRL. I don’t like mixing colors (they either less than needed or too much), it’s good to see they came out ready to use paints for the British camo.

I also don’t like mixing paints - I often mess up the ratios and don’t get a consistent shade! I love tamiya, but I’ve been using paints from other brands like AK Real Color if Mr. T doesn’t have the right color.

1 Like

László, if you want try also Vallejo Model Air Colours. They have a big range of tones and also RAF camo. I use them on one of my Spitfires right now.

2 Likes

Another tank modeller here, impressed by your skills with aircraft! Looks really nice, congratulations.

1 Like

Very nice! Love the subtle weathering. An excellent build, thanks for sharing, always loved the Spitfire.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I have used Vallejo (and other) water based acrylics for a while, but in the end I decided to stick with the MLT compatible paints. I use the acrylics for detail works and of course for figures, but for airbrushing I stopped.

László, very nice build and great paint job, I will throw in one problem though, Tamiya got the kit markings wrong as these codes appeared on a Mk.IX not on a Mk.V from all the information I’ve been able to find relating to Adolph ‘Sailor’ Malan

2 Likes

Thank you Carlos! Enjoyed this one, looking forward to building another plane - probably a ME262 or a battle of britain spitifre. For now - going back to my 1/35 stuff hehe

Thanks Colin! I really appreciate it. I didn’t really understand why people love how the spitfire looks until I actually assembled this kit - the shape of the plane, especially the wing, really looks sleek and elegant vs its contemporaries

Thanks Luciano! I actually stumbled on that bit of info right after I finished this kit. Too late to fix it now, but still appreciate that bit of info - might prove useful for future kits hehe. Sailor Malan had quite the distinguished service - thinking about building his earlier spitfires.