Tank Wheels With Rubber Melted Off

I discovered that since Rye Field -34/85 tanks have the tires separate from the rims, I can depict “empty” rims where the rubber has melted off a burned tank. But what would the surfaces of the rims look like with the rubber gone? Shiny? Rusty?

Rusty from the heat. I javen’t seen their wheels, but they should have raised bands going around the circumference to prevent lateral shifting of the tire off the wheel.

Edit:
There’s a good example of what I mean two photos down.
The AK wheels, at least the dished ones, have these raised bands.

1 Like

Usually the rubber will leave ash behind when it burns off

1 Like

H.P.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve seen burnt out T34 wheels somewhere in the after market.

Google search for 1/35 burned T-34 wheels

What is the function of tracks rubber pads on modern tanks ?

Protects hard surfaces (asphalt roads)
Provides better grip on hard surfaces. Steel on cold asphalt is slippery.

3 Likes

For noise and vibration reduction, plus minimising damage to road surfaces.

2 Likes

Panzer Art offers “Burned Out” road wheels for several vehicles, in clouding the T-34.

Another thing to consider is that when a vehicle is destroyed by fire, the suspension will drop out, making the wreckage sit much lower to the ground.

2 Likes

Really depends on how long that burned out tank has been sitting around. Fresh exposed steel in higher humidity will start to rust fairly quickly especially if it’s a lower quality steel with more iron in it. I can say that when I was learning to stick weld back in the 90’s when I was an apprentice in a related trade, my samples would show light surface rust with in a week. It scrubbed off quickly and was very light and spotty. So those freshly cooked wheels will probably show some signs within a week or so, wouldn’t be real shiny though like a metal rim though like you might see on a German armor from that time. They’d be a bit more sooty from the burned rubber and paint etc

2 Likes

To reduce the dollar amount on the compensation checks written out by the Maneuver Damage Officer who follows along every task force during wargames off of post :wink:

6 Likes

If doing a burned tank, the heat also cooks the paint that is not burned off. The paint will change color based on the amount od cooking. Make sure you can find a good reference photo for color choice.

1 Like

I think you would also get a blistered paint surface, “orange-peel” - the kind of surface you get from incorrect air-brushing, and try to avoid!
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like