The 80th Anniversary of The Guadalcanal Campaign

I will join with such a set … there is an opportunity to do …

I chose the painting from the BD set:

First cut today

3 Likes

Question for experts on the subject: which color of the cubes is correct - red or black? :thinking:

Cheeky blighter…

Not an easy one to come up with something for everyone’s genre of build, but how about a simple one:

GC03

Portions of the Rising Sun flag and the US 48 states flag, Guadalcanal island ‘silhouette’ and year anniversary…

Will look like this, so still able to see the nuances when it is smaller:

7 Likes

Out of all the ones you have done for other campaigns, I think this is the best one you have designed to date Peter. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Traditionally:

1 Like

Really nice medal, Peter :slight_smile:

1 Like

In fact, I like it so much…I just voted to join the campaign… :grin::+1:

4 Likes

So, next big iffy… Does anyone have a decent list of ground vehicles or US aircraft… I’m only getting M4s and M3s… And Wildcats… ?? Were Corsairs there ?

At first the main aircraft were Navy/Marine: F4Fs, SBDs, and TBFs. Pretty early on the Army sent P-39s/P-400s and some B-17s and C-47s. By Spring of '43 P-38s and F4U-1s (bircages) started showing up.

Here’s a good website that’s been around for a while and has good info: http://www.daveswarbirds.com/cactus/cactus.htm

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As Michael points out there were a lot of early war/mid war planes there. Also some water plane zeros if I am not mistaken.

I will start my own research for my entry. :slightly_smiling_face:

Wydawnictwo Militaria No 113 has these:
M2A4
M3A1 Stuart
LVT 1
Jeep
Type 97 Chi-Ha
Dodge 3/4 ton

3 Likes

I forgot the PBY as well.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Trucks and Jeeps:

Bulldozer:

Fancy a scratchbild - Japanese Steam Roller:

3 Likes

I have some liberators and B-17s in the stash. I believe they also participated in the battle.

I will see what I can dig up online :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Cheers guys, and some great references there… Now to decide …:thinking:

I think the P-38s show up after the end date for this build, otherwise I would do one of them.

I’m thinking I’ll do a ship for this maybe?

1 Like

I rummaged around the stash. I have the Monogram B-24D in the “Moby Dick” markings. It flew with the fifth air force, 90th bomb group in the Salomon islands campaign. I do not know the exact timeframe, but the fifth air force was in the Salomon islands from the beginning in 1942-44.

This exact plane I cannot pin exactly in the time period for this campaign. But given it is an early B-24D and from a unit that fought in the Salomon islands from the beginning in 1942, I find it plausible it took part in the naval/land battles on/around Guadalcanal.

Would it be approved for this campaign? :slight_smile:

Complicating things further it seems there where several planes called “Moby Dick” or maybe the same plane repainted.

1 Like

Well, I got a lucky strike here. Came across an old instructions leaflet from Eduard. They have the this plane starting operations in the Solomon islands on 23rd November 1942. So I guess that removes the last bit of doubt - I assume this kit is approved for this campaign?

For me you can join! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

Hi Everyone,

Wow, looks like a lot of new interest for this one. For what it’s worth, P-38’s were there in January of 1943, to supplement the P-400’s, also believe there were some P-40’s though not sure. The Corsairs did come later in the year. Additionally, on the Japanese side of things were the Zero, Val, Kate, Betty, Rufe, and Pete. Would bet that there was also some Jakes involved, though still looking. Also towards the end of the battle there were some Ki-43’s coming from a hidden airstrip, which means that there could also be some other IJA aircraft, though by that point in the battle most were there to cover the retreat. More to follow on this.

So the Tamiya Wildcat kit I picked up at a show for $5 also had a KMC cockpit in it. So I thought I’d give it a whirl.

This was a bit disappointing, so I figured that I’d just cut out the floorboards around the troughs for the pilot legs, as I’ve done this before. It was at about this point that I realized that I’d purchased a few of these kits (yes, this is one of my top 5 aircraft of all time), so to the back of the closet I went to pull them out. Turns out I have 7 Tamiya kits! Therefore, I figured why try to decide between Bauer and Foss’s planes when I can just do both.

So, I gathered some things to do a second in tandem with the first. I also discovered a set of Ultracast Seats complete with belts! Kind of like summer Christmas.

I then started to cut the floorboard, and get things cleaned up for the interior painting. Once placed onto the painting board I proceeded with a homemade US interior green.

Then gave the engines a coat of gun metal, and finally the crankcase covers a coat of engine grey.

Finally, a huge thank you to Peter for the beautiful ribbon. I think it captures the flavor of this campaign perfectly!

Keep having fun!

3 Likes