The carpet monster strikes again!

So, while building my Ryefield M1240A1, a small but highly visible glad hand pops out of the tweezers and into the jaws of the carpet monster’s mouth. The handheld vacuum, no luck. It’s hiding well, e-mailed Ryefield support hoping I can replace the sprue.

Happy modelling

1 Like

The carpet monster taketh but many times he returnth months later…

6 Likes

Model on tile!

1 Like

On the roof…! :smile::wink:

2 Likes

I use a full size vacuum that you can empty the canister. I vac the entire room then empty the contents on to a white paper plate. With a pair of tweezers and some magnification I almost always get it on the first try. I absolutely swear by this method.

5 Likes

Another option ?

https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/1-35th-air-hose-connections-glad-hands/22468/16

H.P.

1 Like

Another method that I use is to use a full size vacuum hose with an old stocking donated by SWMBO stretched over the end secured with a rubber band. Sweep the vacuum across the entire carpet and the part will appear stuck to the stocking on the end of the hose.

5 Likes

Okay maybe im getting to that age but I gotta ask…what does that stand for?

2 Likes

She Who Must Be Obeyed - the wife.

6 Likes

Very accurate…my wife will love it

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a species somewhere in this universe where it’s the man who must be obeyed?

1 Like

Snails just because they are hermaphrodite :laughing:

Olivier

5 Likes

… and/or “tile” floor. :grin:

1 Like

She Who Must Be Obeyed is the main character of the 1887 adventure novel She by H. Rider Haggard, which was later made in to the black and white movie She, released in 1935. The book is considered one of the foundational works of modern fantasy.

Quoting from the Wikipedia:

According to Haggard’s daughter Lilias, the phrase “She-who-must-be-obeyed” originated from his childhood and “the particularly hideous aspect” of one rag-doll: “This doll was something of a fetish, and Rider, as a small child, was terrified of her, a fact soon discovered by an unscrupulous nurse who made full use of it to frighten him into obedience. Why or how it came to be called She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed he could not remember.”

The phrase came to mean any powerful woman whose will must be obeyed and displeasure feared, often a wife.

The movie version of She, played by actress Helen Gahagan, was the inspiration for Maleficent in Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty.

4 Likes

Thanks for the back story it’s very interesting…especially since I’m not well read

1 Like

Have you tried on your hands and knees with a flashlight and the room lights off? That usually works for me. Then I resort to the vacuum. Good luck!

3 Likes

I’ve performed open heart surgery on many a vacuum bag over the decades

5 Likes

I switched to hard wood floors for this reason. It has not helped. Best of luck.

1 Like

Oh to get back the lost hours on hands and knees with flashlight under the bench. The part is on the tweezers and you are just about to place the tiny wee tool clamp and………It’s gone. There must be another dimension full of orbiting plastic tank parts.

3 Likes

I work over a bare concrete floor and yet, parts as large as a complete 1/700 5 inch gun, disappear when they pop off the tweezers. There has to be a portal that absorbs parts just above my work bench so that dimension also has other plastic kit parts!

3 Likes